• Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!

Gender Equity in STEM Club looking for new members

Elliana Parsons

Now that you’ve become acclimated to the world of GHS, are you looking for an exciting activity to further your interests? Well look no further than the Gender Equity in STEM Club!

This club incorporates all areas of science, including geology, botany and so much more. In previous years, some of the club’s excursions have included visiting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to interview the women who work there and hear about their experiences in male-dominated STEM fields.

Students in the club also had the opportunity to explore the Museum of Science in Boston, where they looked at exhibits that showcased everything from robotic dogs to different plant species. 

This year, the club is set to visit Ocean Alliance in October, where students will be educated on whale conservation. Farther into the year, another field trip to hopefully take place is a visit to the New England Aquarium in Boston. 

Mr. Leigh and Ms. Vidal are the advisors of the club, both of whom strive to make sure members get a chance to experience science by a means that each individual finds interesting. The mission of the club is “to provide equity and opportunities for students who may not know all there is to offer in STEM,” Mr. Leigh said.

Meetings take place about once every month either during homeroom, or Wednesdays after school in Mr. Leigh’s classroom. Additionally, field trips will take place once a month usually after school on Wednesdays. If you find any of the STEM areas to be interesting, or you just want to meet new people, stop by room 2407 to check out all that the club has to offer!