Boys tennis celebrates Senior Night

ANNIKA NYBORG, Staff Writer

GHS boys tennis wrapped up the regular season with a 4-1 win over Rockport. With this win, the Fishermen’s record moves up to 14-5. The team has finished the regular season, and with this record, they’ve secured a spot in the state tournament. 

Last night, the team celebrated their three seniors: Captains Drew White and Noah Willett, as well as Elijah Sarrouf. 

Both captains spoke on the season:

“We’ve been doing pretty well, we are fourteen and five now,” White said “We had a strong finish today with a win over Rockport and we are just looking forward to the tournament.”

“Fourteen and five obviously a lot to be proud of,” Willett said “We just have to keep up the mental toughness and realize that we actually have a good team this year and we can go far if we want to and try to. The boys are starting to understand that now.”

Head Coach Derek Geary talked about the captains after working with them both for the past five years in tennis and hockey. 

“These two senior captains have been great,” Geary said “I’ve had them since the eighth grade and got quite close to them. It’s very special, they’ve become great players but also good mature leaders and great kids to have in the program.

Junior Anders Littman lost the first singles match. He received a score of 2-6 in the first set and won 6-3 in the second. Littman sustained a knee injury, and instead of playing a third set, they played a tiebreaker where he lost. 

Second singles, played by junior Andry Payano Sosa was a win for the Fishermen. He received a score of 6-3 in the first and 6-1 in the second. To finish the singles matches Captain Drew White had a great match and won with scores of 6-1 and 6-3. 

First doubles was played by juniors Dom Paone and Luke McElhenny. They crushed their Rockport opponents with scores of 6-0 in both sets. Seniors Elijah Sarrouf and Noah Willett also had a great win against their opponents. They received a score of 6-1 in the first set and 6-3 in the second. 

As the team finished the regular season and continue on to the state tournament  Head Coach Derek Geary and Assistant Coach Phil Muller discussed the team, the season, and what’s to come in the tournament.

“I’m just amazed, you know this is basically their third year altogether and to see them all get better every year and every match,” Muller said. 

“It’s a really great group of kids,” Geary said  “Together they work hard and are very close-knit. I think they are gaining in beliefs match by match because we’ve been getting better. We’re starting to cross some thresholds, like beating Swampscott for the first time in 21 years and competing with Bedford who was a state champion finalist. I think the team is starting to build the belief: Why not us? We could really make a run in the tournament and we are not just on the verge. We are becoming a really great team right before our own eyes. I think that if you can visualize it and believe it, it’s true. 

As the regular season has come to an end, this has been one of the best boys’ tennis teams in Gloucester High School history. They finished the season strong with a win. The state tournament schedule hasn’t been released but with their record, the Fishermen will most likely have a home game to start.