Music program rings in the holiday season

courtesy of ghs yearbook staff

GHS chorus members Sara Corchado, Carrington Davis, Henry Hardy and Jack Favazza rehearse for their upcoming winter concert

HANNAH SEARS, Staff Writer

The pumpkins have been carved and the turkeys have been eaten. The exchange from candy corns to candy canes has been made and the GHS music program is exhilarated to be performing soon.

Both programs have been rehearsing Christmas tunes for more than two weeks to premiere this winter. The first holiday performance is the holiday themed coffee house. The coffee house shows off the musical talents of both the Docksiders and the Chorus. Both musical groups will be previewing their holiday hits.

The concert will be on December 12th at 7:00pm in the Gloucester High School cafe. If you haven’t been to a coffee house, the cafeteria is completely transformed for this concert. The lunch tables serve as walls which are placed around a small area of unconventional tables made of instrument cases. The whole house is dimmed and there are sections of Christmas lights and decorations.

The price to go to the concert is $5, but once you get in the food is complementary.  There are also many things for sale to help the Docksiders fundraise for a trip to Disney in March.

Danielle Crear, a sophomore at GHS and a member of the chorus, is very excited to be performing at the coffee house. “Coffee houses are fun and relaxing” said Crear. “It’s fun to perform with the Docksiders.”

The next concert is the Middle Street Walk. This concert features the Gloucester High School Chorus and the O’Maley Band. The performance will be located at the beautiful Gloucester Unitarian Universalist Church on the 13th of December at 11:00 AM. The performance is free of charge.

Alexandra Grace, a Junior and vocal soloist in both the chorus and the band, is eager to be performing at the Unitarian Universalist Church. “I really like the acoustics in the church” said Grace “we practice and look forward to it every year” Alexandra will be soloing in Oh Holy Night  during the concert.

The following event is the Winter Breakfast on January 24th. The Winter Breakfast exhibits both the GHS Chorus and the Docksiders. The performance will be in the cafe. This event costs $5. The Docksiders and Chorus will be performing a medley  of christmas classics and their own hits.

Besides these concerts, the GHS music program is also preparing to perform small concerts for their community. The GHS chorus is preparing to perform christmas songs at Day by Day senior home and the preschool located at GHS. The Docksiders performed at a local elementary school.

This will be the last holiday concerts for seniors Matt Ciaramitaro and Cal Cook. “I am going to miss the repertoire and the people in the band,” said Matt Ciaramitaro, a trumpet soloist in the Docksiders. Though excited for college Cal Cook says the feeling is “exciting and sad because it’s coming to an end”.