Fishermen celebrate senior night with a win against Falcons


Laurel McDonald

Varsity boys soccer team pose for a picture on senior night.

ALEX LAINE, Sports Writer

Last night was senior night for the boys soccer team, and they beat Danvers 3-1 at home. Gino Tripoli scored another hat trick, giving him his third of the season.

Most of the first half was defensive, but Gloucester pressured Danvers for nearly all of the first 40 minutes. Last time the Fishermen met the Falcons, it was in Danvers, and Gloucester won easily by a score of 6-2. The Fishermen scored first, with Dom Paone assisting Gino’s first goal of the game. Similar to their last game against the Falcons, Gloucester was able to keep their early lead for the rest of the game. 

Gloucester went into halftime up 1-0. In the first 2 minutes of the second half, Dom Paone assisted Gino for another goal. Danvers’ Bradley Piscitello responded with a goal of his own just a minute later, cutting Gloucester’s lead back to one goal.

The Fishermen’s defense stifled the Falcons for the rest of the game, not letting up another goal. Wesdra DaSilva and Yuniel Sanchez led the defense from midfield, keeping the ball away from Gloucester’s side of the field. 

Coach Marnoto credited Geremy Palascios’ play.

“Geremy finally put together a full game this time,” Head Coach Armando Marnoto said. “We play much better as a team when he plays well and he helped us score a couple of those goals tonight.”

Danvers managed to get one more shot on goal in the last three minutes of the game, but it was saved by Stefano Numerosi, sealing the win for Gloucester. In the last minute of the game, Tripoli went and scored his third goal of the game, this time by himself one-on-one with the goalie, after beating the double team. It was Tripoli’s third hat trick this season, and his 33rd goal of the season.

“It’s so hard to play a team for a second time,” Marnoto said. “They don’t want to lose to you again and they always make adjustments and play harder.”

In their second game against Marblehead, they scored in the first two minutes of the game, but Marblehead made adjustments from the last time they played each other. The Fishermen couldn’t maintain their lead, and lost 1-2. 

“We shouldn’t have lost that game at all,” Marnoto said. “This time we had to make sure we wouldn’t lose another game like that.”

The Fishermen advance to a record of 13-4, and their final regular season game will be at Beverly tomorrow at 4pm.