Interact brings holiday cheer to Pathways

Lorrinda Cerrutti

Ella Bonfield, Emily Russo, Kate Parisi, and Rachael Shahin at the Pathways holiday party

MELANIE MACDONALD, Staff Writer

The weekend, students from the Gloucester High School Interact club hosted the seventh annual holiday party for Pathways for Children students.

The night before, about twenty volunteers went to Pathways to decorate and set up. This included hanging lights and snowflakes and setting up Christmas trees.

At the party, students helped children decorate cookies and participate in arts and crafts. This year the children got to meet Mr. and Mrs. Claus, and Anna and Elsa from the movie Frozen.

Many of the children were excited that some of their favorite movie characters  had come to see them.  “A little girl asked me how my ice castle was,” said Bella Parco who dressed as Elsa from the movie Frozen, “ and she wanted to come see it herself”.

“The kids were very cute,” said Michaela Oliver who dressed up as Anna, “but some of them were crazy”.

This is the seventh or eighth year the party has been running, and this year the Pathways party ran smoother than it has in at least three years, according to Interact Treasurer Kate Parisi.

“Even our rotary adviser Julie Geary, who has facilitated the party for many years, agreed that this year was one of the best executed parties she has been apart of,” said Parisi.

This party is a way for students from Gloucester High School to go out into the community and volunteer. “It was nice for me to see them all and help them out,” said Nina LoGrande, who helped decorate cookies and serve lunch.

“We put it all on for free for the community and we love doing it,” said Mr. Perrault who encourages all GHS students to get involved with the Interact club.  “It inspires younger kids to give back, because they see the older kids doing it. It breeds community development. And you get to hang out with me.”

For more information about GHS Interact see Mr. Perrault in rm. 2217, or visit Gloucester Interact club on Facebook.