Boys soccer holds number one spot in NEC

ALEX LAINE, Sports Writer

After a successful two weeks, stringing together five wins, the GHS boys soccer team has taken the number 1 spot in the NEC. The Fishermen continued their season with no losses last week, remaining undefeated.

After defeating Saugus 3-1, they traveled to Danvers last Monday, for what was supposed to be their first real challenge of the season. It turned out to be more of the same with the Fishermen easily crushing the Falcons 6-2. Geremy Palascios had a hat trick along with one assist, scoring on almost every one on one opportunity he got. Gino Tripoli had 2 goals and 1 assist, with one of his goals coming from a 50 yard pass from Dom Paone, who’s been setting up goals for Gloucester all season. Deston Cauthers also scored a goal, and sophomore Dylan Smith had one assist. 

Moving on, the Fishermen beat Swampscott, Marblehead, and Winthrop, while giving up only 1 goal in all three games. Throughout the season, only 4 goals total have been scored against Gloucester, which is tied with Masconomet for the least in the conference. Despite having only 2 senior defensive players, their young defense has proven to be one of the best. Sophomore Stefano Numerosi, who played striker for the JV team last year, switched to goalie and has stepped up for the Varsity team. The defense, led by captain Yuniel Sanchez, manages to keep the pressure on the opposing team, keeping the ball away from their goal and always clearing the ball up the field or out of bounds. 

Coach Armando Marnoto stresses the importance of keeping the ball on the other team’s side of the field. After their 4-0 win over Salem, he mentioned the good defensive play. “We hold our possessions, we’ve got a young defense but a talented one that plays team defense,” he said. “We’re able to win the 50/50 balls physically, and send the ball up the field.”

With a 7-0 record, they lead the NEC and will play Peabody at home on Wednesday at 4:30.