Girls soccer loses to rival Danvers

Lexi Thomas

Ava Coelho fights for the ball with a Danvers player.

ANNIKA NYBORG, Staff Writer

GHS girl’s soccer fell 6-0 to Danvers on Monday, despite putting up a tremendous effort. 

For the first fifteen minutes of the game, Gloucester struggled to find their footing on the field, and Danvers took a quick 4-0 lead. Gloucester managed to pull it together, which made the game exciting and competitive. The team stopped Danvers from scoring for the rest of the half. 

In the second half, Gloucester continued on with this fight. Danvers had some good plays that led to two goals, but Gloucester held them off from scoring for the rest of the game. The Fishermen did a very good job with ball control and maintaining a strong effort throughout the game.

Sophomore Skye Ciolino had an impressive game at midfield. She was all over the field using her speed and dribbling skills, powering her way through the Danvers’ defense. Junior Morgan Pennimpede had a solid performance on defense. Her ability to clear the ball and chase down the striker helped Gloucester against a forceful offense. 

The performance of the night has to go to senior captain Maggie Sperry in the net. Sperry had had a lot of pressure on her all night and managed to stop a lot of powerful shots. She was all over the net, diving, jumping, punting, and sliding threw the shooter. 

The Fishermen worked incredibly hard and put up a big fight against Danvers. After this loss, the team record became 1-2. 

Gloucester will be looking for a win against Swampscott, tonight in Gloucester at 4:30 pm.