Boys soccer kicks off a win against Salem

Treely Dowd

Kayky Barbosa sends the ball down field last fall season.

ALEX LAINE, Sports Writer

After last year’s 13-5 season, Gloucester Soccer is expecting another successful season. They are off to a strong start after last night’s game, whooping Salem 4-0.

The Fishermen seemingly dominated the whole first half, pressuring Salem’s defense and setting up multiple scoring opportunities, including a penalty kick, but they couldn’t score. Salem’s goalie was the only person keeping the game close for them, but Gloucester knew if they kept pressuring him they would score eventually.

“They were frustrated that we didn’t score yet,” Coach Armando Marnoto said. “I reminded them that we were in a good position and to keep playing confident, but move the ball quicker.”

The Fishermen did just that, with Gino Tripoli scoring two goals in the first five minutes of the second half, both assisted by Dom Paone. Almost the whole second half was played on Salem’s side of the field.

“We were able to control the field position by holding on to our possessions,” Coach Marnoto said. “Our defense also played really well, they’re young, but they’re smart and talented.”

Every time Salem got the ball up the field, Gloucester’s defense would clear it right back to the other side. Although the Witches managed to get a few shots on goal, they were easily rejected by goalie Stefano Numerosi, holding Salem scoreless throughout the game. The game seemed over once Gloucester got up 2-0, but they kept the pressure on. With 33 minutes left, Captain Kayky Barbosa found Gino Tripoli with a quick cross, which Gino connected on for goal number three and a hat trick. Comfortably in the lead, Wesdra DaSilva scored off of Sophomore Dylan Smith’s assist for the Fishermen’s fourth goal.

Last season, the Fishermen ended 13-5 while winning the NEC South. They expect to win the NEC South again, and hope to advance farther than they did in the tournament last year. Gloucester will be looking to build on their strong start in a home game against Saugus on Friday at 4:30.