End of the road for GHS baseball

Melissa Francis

Senior Brett Moore pitches in his final high school game

ALEX LAINE, Contributor

On Saturday, the No.8 Fishermen Baseball team lost to No.1 Austin Prep, by a score of 6-0. The loss ended the Fishermen’s season in the Quarterfinals of the Division 3 tournament.

Coming into the game, the Fishermen were confident in their chances of winning, despite Austin Prep’s ranking. Head Coach Rory Gentile spoke about it to his team before the game: “People think we need a miracle to win this game, we don’t.”

In the top of the second inning, Zach Morris got on base, followed by consecutive bunts by Hafey and Cornetta, leaving Morris on 3rd and Hafey on 2nd base with only one out. Under pressure, Evan Blanco finished the top of the inning with two strikeouts, not letting up any runs.

Austin Prep rallied in 3 runs in the 2nd inning.

With Thomas Fabbo and Paul Gabbardi on base, the Fishermen committed an error after Brendan Walsh’s bunt, allowing Gabbardi to run across home for the first run of the game. Just after that, with only one out, Ernie Little hit a 2 RBI single, sending Walsh and Fabbo home.

In the 5th inning, Matthew Shittell’s ground ball hit was followed by another error with Zawatzky scoring the 4th run for Austin Prep.

At the beginning of the 6th inning, Thomas Fabbo got on second base. Then Brendan Walsh hit a base hit RBI, giving Austin Prep their 5th run. With Walsh on third base, Josh Kieth lined a single to left field as Walsh came home for Austin Prep’s sixth and final run. Gloucester positively ended the 6th inning with a double play by Emerson Marshall. 

“The score wasn’t truly indicative of how close the game was,” Coach Gentile said. “It’s tough to come back down a few runs against a pitcher like that, and the score can feel like more than it is.”

In the loss, senior pitcher Brett Moore struckout 6 batters, Daniel Hafey had a base hit, and Emerson Marshall recorded a double play. Aidan Cornetta, Zach Morris, and Brett Moore also reached base.

Gloucester played a great season, making a deep run in the playoffs after finishing the regular season 16-7.