Doud granted Democracy Fellowship this summer

Caitlyn Muniz

GHS freshman Haven Doud will spend the summer working with the Democracy Congressional Campaign Committee.

CAITLYN MUNIZ, Staff Writer

The 2022 Democracy Fellowship is happening this summer, and GHS student Haven Doud is attending. 

Doud is very passionate about politics, and he is motivated to do everything he can to help make the country better. 

This program is important to me because it is going to help me create even more connections to those in the political sphere that will help me advance my career, and will teach me the unique skills needed to make that possible,” Doud said. 

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is an organization promoting support for the Democratic House candidates. Its goal is to fortify and expand democratic majority, and their Democracy Summer Fellowship does just that. 

This one of a kind fellowship is part of the DCCCs Democracy Summer Project, which trains and develops the next generation of democratic organizers to bring political change in America. Last year’s program held 350 students from 27 states and all of them were trained as organizers and volunteer activists in Democratic campaigns.

“You can get into politics at any level with this program,” Doud said. “It’s not unreachable.” 

This program is six weeks long and is 20-25 hours per week. After receiving applications, participating Members of the House representing each state will personally select their campaign’s fellows. Students will work closely with this member on their campaign along with members from other states throughout the six weeks. 

Doud is an intern for the Gloucester Democratic City Committee, and met Congressman Moulton’s campaign manager Matthew Chiliak through it, who connected him to this fellowship. 

The 2022 fellowship theme is “political democracy and its enemies”. There will be discussions about various historical events in politics regarding this theme along with proposing changes to strengthen democratic processes in the future. 

The goal of this program is to teach students about politics, and how they can make their voices heard. The DCCC seeks to inspire students to be leaders, and to change politics in America for the better.  Campaigns are still accepting applications on a rolling basis. 

For more information about the Democracy Fellowship check out their website: 

https://dccc.org/democracysummer/