Gloucester baseball season preview

Yahir Collado

Gloucester’s Adam Borowick speaks with members of the baseball team during their first day of tryouts

YAHIR COLLADO, Sports Writer

After a 15-5 season last year, Gloucester Baseball looks to continue its tradition of winning this spring. All but one of their starters from the year prior have returned for the 2021-2022 spring season. With their above average defense and extremely gifted pitching, the Fishermen bring a well experienced roster to the dugout.

“As a team we hope to have a longer playoff run than usual,” Captain Brett Moore said. “We want to come out to a hot start and swing the bat better.”

What to look out for:

The Fishermen have a star-studded pitching group with junior ace Zach Morris leading the way. GHS seniors Thomas Elliot and Captain Moore are to be looked out for as well. Moore and Morris have both verbally committed to their respective colleges. Both have put in work in the offseason and want to finish their last year at GHS strong. 

Although not known for their offense, Gloucester’s lead-off hitter, senior Jack Costanzo, should be watched closely. After a stellar hockey season, Costanzo has his final high school baseball year to work towards. He will miss the first game of the season due to personal reasons. 

Head Coach Rory Gentile spoke about the team’s plan for the season.

“Be better at the end than we are at the beginning, ” Gentile said. “NEC is always a top conference. Our division, particularly Danvers, will be very strong, as well as Masco. Our approach is to be perfect on defense, throw strikes on the mound, and aggressively put the ball in play.”

Home field issues:

GHS has recently been forced to practice at Stage Fort Park and not their home field. The Nate Ross Field has been deemed unplayable for now due to ongoing flood issues. 

“I think that having not been able to step foot on our home field for two weeks before our first game is disruptive,” Gentile said about the team’s field issue. “Being constantly on edge and on the move can be galvanizing for a group.”

GHS’ first game of the season will be away vs Newburyport tomorrow at 11am. They will play their first home game against the Danvers Falcons on Wednesday, April 6th.