NHS welcomes class of 2023 inductees

Martin Del Vecchio

NHS member Kyle Clifford passes his candle and sash on to Junior Seamus Buckley as NHS members and new inductees watch.

CLARA DEL VECCHIO, Staff Writer

This Thursday, 44 new members were inducted into the Sherman B. Ruth chapter of the National Honor Society, also known as NHS.

The ceremony started with the flag salute and national anthem performed by Thomas Elliot and Emily Corrao, respectively. Speeches were given by Mayor Greg Verga, School Committee Chairperson Kathleen Clancy, and Superintendent Ben Lumis. 

Darcy Muller presented the annual report for the class of 2022, which collectively accomplished 1,621 hours of work to give back to the city and better the school environment, including tutoring and community service.

The president of the NHS class of 2022, Sophia Costa, the vice president, Darcy Muller, the historian, Thomas Elliot, and the secretary, Eliana Faria, spoke on the pillars of NHS: service, character, leadership, and scholarship.

NHS advisor Rayanne Menery Sammataro presented awards based on the pillars of the NHS to Sophia Costa, Drew Macchi, Oliva Hogan-Lopez, and Eliana Faria, the students who best exemplified each of the main characteristics.

The keynote speaker, Carl Sacco, also spoke on the importance of stepping out of one’s comfort zone and trying to be the best person one can be. This being his last year, he noted the supportiveness of the school community, saying “I consider GHS to be my extended family.”

Sashes and candles were bestowed to the incoming inductees by the senior members of the NHS. Diplomas and pins were also presented, and those being inducted took an oath read by Eliana Faria to uphold the pillars and give back to the community.

Newly inducted juniors include Allan Segura, Ashlee Aiello, Daniela Aiello, Sean Bergin, Laci Bouchie, Baret Buckley, Seamus Buckley, Deston Cauthers, Eliana Cracchiolo, Chloe De Gaspe Beaubien, Clara Del Vecchio, Jack Delaney, Frank Desisto, Aiden Dowd, Rosalia Ferrara, Michael Francis, Nicole Gardner, Peter Giordano, Emily Gossom, Ella Grossi, Keyarah Harris, Emalee Jackman, Kyia Karvelas, Brody Laing, Jaclyn Lichtenwald, Maximilian Littman, Adam Madeja, Adriana Martell, Olivia McBain, Bee Murdock, Allie Nicastro, Marissa Numerosi, Annika Nyborg, Trinity O’Leary, Anthony Porcello, Samuel Rodriguez, Catherine Sargent, Elijah Sarrouf, Marguerite Sperry, Griffin Towne, Marisa Vincent, Tyler Weed, Camilla Wilkins-Bowens, and Ella Zindle.

Closing remarks were made by Principal James Cook, who spoke about being a nerd, and the passion that it takes to be one, saying “from explaining the infield fly rule in baseball, to tackling issues such as sexual identity, being a nerd is connected to the four pillars of NHS.”

Special thanks were given to the NHS advisory board, Carol Cafasso, Ellen Clarke, Geoffrey Kennedy, Jennifer Kennedy, and Kyle Linehan, the members of which were in charge of determining the new members.