Gloucester’s historic playoff run ends with a 6-3 loss

Emily Harney

Gloucester Captain Jack Costanzo skating to the puck.

YAHIR COLLADO, Sports Writer

Last night, the No. 2 Fishermen Hockey team finished up their season with a 6-3 loss against the No. 3 Canton Bulldogs at the Tsongas Arena. Four quick goals in the first five minutes of the game made it hard for the Fishermen to bounce back.

Head Coach Derek Geary spoke about the team’s fans and their support.

“Our student section was amazing all tournament long and we thank them with all our hearts,” Geary said.

In the first period, only a minute passed until Bulldog senior Brennan Pecararo scored. Canton’s senior Sean Connolly added to his teammate’s goal. He shot from the blue line and it was deflected in. Within seconds the Bulldogs scored again, on a power-play. Connolly was credited with the goal, making it his second of the night. Canton’s fourth goal came from senior Eddie Gillis. The teams battled, but the Fishermen could not get on the board. GHS saw themselves down 0-4 at the end of the first.

The Bulldogs continued to reign goals on the Fishermen in the second period.

Bulldog junior AJ Thomas brought his team’s lead to 5-0 after his goal only a minute and a half into the second. Several minutes went by until Pecararo added his second goal of the night. In just a little over a period, the Fishermen saw themselves down by one of the biggest margins this season. 

While on a powerplay, Gloucester’s sophomore Joseph Orlando was the game’s next goal scorer. He gave the team some life after he bounced the puck off the goalie into the net. Sophomore Brett Cunningham added to Gloucester’s score within thirty seconds after Orlando. GHS’ core showed how talented they are and they refused to finish their season. Gloucester tried to add more goals but received too much offensive pressure by the Bulldogs. The second period concluded with the Fishermen down 6-2.

The third period was hectic with each team fighting to win.

Numerous players were called to the box from each team throughout the third period. Both goalies got a taste of some hits and tensions were all at all-time highs. GHS held control of the puck for much of the third but could not capitalize till the end. Fishermen captain Jack Costanzo scored the team’s last goal of the season with less than a minute to go in the game. Gloucester lost 6-3, a bitter-sweet ending to an otherwise memorable season.

“The season didn’t end the way we wanted but we must credit Canton for playing their best and giving us an intensity in the first five minutes that we struggled with,” Geary said. “Perhaps experience on the big stage played a role–we’ll be anxious to get back. We showed our character in never giving up and fighting back from a tough 6-0 hole. Our team has a lot to be proud of this season and we walked out of the arena with heads held high. Let’s take it forward to next season!”

Gloucester finished their best hockey season since 2006. No. 3 Canton moves on to TD Garden to face No. 1 Tewkesbury in the Division 2 Boys’ Hockey State Championship.