GHS indoor track team places 6th at 2022 NEC Championship

Yahir Collado

Captain Kyle Clifford turns the corner in the mile at the 2022 NEC Championship.

ANDREW COELHO, Staff Writer

On February 6th, the Gloucester High School Indoor Track and Field team traveled to Roxbury for the 2022 Northeastern Conference League Championship Meet. This meet was held at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center. 

During the regular season, the boys team and the girls team records were 3-6 and 2-7, respectively. After an unlucky regular season where they would get outnumbered by bigger NEC teams, Gloucester’s talent was on full display at NECs. They placed 6th in the conference for both boys and girls, placing much higher than what their record would show. 

On the boys side, they were led by Captain Andrew Coelho, the 2022 NEC 600m Champion. Coelho also placed 5th place in long jump and anchored the 4x400m relay along with Captain Aidan Almeida, Bryce Rochford, and Colby Rochford that placed 4th. C. Rochford also placed 3rd in the 1000m along with Almeida who placed 4th in the high jump. 

The girls team was led by Captain Natalie Aiello, who placed in all 3 events she participated in. Placing 2nd in long jump, 6th in the 300m, and she was also a part of the 4x400m relay that placed 3rd. Freshman Rose Groleau was also in this relay team along with Skye Ciolino and Captain Darcy Muller. Muller placed 2nd in the 300m along with Ciolino who placed 3rd in the 600m. 

The GHS Track team is working towards the Division 4 State Championship that will be held at Reggie Lewis on February 17th, 2022. 

On Saturday February 12, they will be sending some of their athletes to the Last Chance Meet, in hopes of them qualifying for states. They will also be sending some athletes to Boston University this weekend in hopes of qualifying for nationals.