Tigerfish finish their league season unbeaten

Molly+Pennimpede+warms+up+on+the+balance+beam+

Yahir Collado

Molly Pennimpede warms up on the balance beam

YAHIR COLLADO, Sports Writer

This past Tuesday, GHS Gymnastics finished their league season undefeated, with their win over Malden 125.4 – 110.5. With a spectacular performance from senior Victoria Pekrul, the team sent their seniors off with another season-high score.

“I’m so proud of all the girls tonight,” senior captain Paola Brea said. “I’m so sad to see this season end, we will be competing the 13th at CALS against multiple teams and hopefully make it to states.”

The Tigerfish started their night off on the vault. Pekrul led the pack with a score of 8.4. Her spontaneity and focus carried on with her throughout the night. Senior Riley Turner came in second with a score of 8.2. Lastly, senior Charlotte Manolian came in third with a score of 7.9. The Tigerfish ended the vault with a cumulative score of 32.3.

After the vault, GHS Gymnastics went to the bars. Freshman Mia Russo came out with a powerful performance that led her to first place with a score of 8.3. Pekrul finished her performance with a score of 8.0. In third place was Turner with a score of 7.6. Cumulatively, the team scored 30.8 at the end of their bars performances.

Next, the team headed to the beam to test out their balance. Turner came in first place with a score of 7.8. Her hops, twirls, and walkovers led her to success. Pekrul and Russo tied for second with a respective score of 7.7. Pekrul brought out cartwheels, cross-body hops, and even dismounted perfectly. Russo elegantly displayed her balance with twirls, one-legged jumps, and powerful cartwheels. The Tigerfish’s overall score in the beam was 29.5.

Lastly, the team ended the night with  their strongest event, the floor. Pekrul led the pack with a brilliant score of 8.75. Her song of choice was “Lone Digger,” by Caravan Palace. Russo’s score of 8.35 led her to second place. She used “Take Flight,” by Lindsey Sterling to lift her off. In third place came Turner with a score of 8.1. She chose “7 years,” by Lukas Graham to help lead the way. Their floor exercise ended as their night’s best score with a 32.8. Cumulatively, their events added up to 125.4 to give them the edge over Malden.

“This was the highest score of the season again with a 125.4,” head coach Sofia Gallo said. “We have officially won the league. Our senior Victoria Pekrul got her two highest scores of the season… I think we finished the season strong.”

GHS’ lone senior captain Paola Brea celebrated alongside her mother. Ipswich seniors Manolian, Chloe Doonan, Aubrey O’Flynn, Riley Regan, Turner, Pekrul, and Avi Gahm-Diaz, celebrated alongside their families.

The Tigerfish end their season 4-0 in their league. They finish the season with hopes to attend states.