Tigerfish continue their league dominance

Yahir Collado

Tigerfish gymnastics team continues to dominate this season

YAHIR COLLADO, Staff Writer

This past Sunday, the Ipswich and Gloucester joint Gymnastics team continued their league win streak with their 125 to 74.5 win, against the Peabody Tanners. With big performances in the vault and on the floor, the Tigerfish won in a landslide.

“Tigerfish is definitely the best team I personally have ever been on,” captain Paola Brea said. “You should really try out for it because it is a really awesome close-knit team.”

The Tigerfish started their day off with the balance beam. Freshman Mia Russo of the Tigerfish came in first. Senior Riley Turner came in second with a score of 7.8. She executed an extravagant back walkover, some high jumps, and exotic spins. Senior Aubrey O’Flynn came in second with a score of 7.6. She wonderfully displayed her ability to balance while she balanced on one leg, cartwheeled, spun, and jumped. The Tigerfish’s overall balance beam score as a team was 30.9.

The next event for the Tigerfish was the floor exercise. Russo came in first place with a score of 8.7. Her song was “Take Flight,” by Lindsey Sterling. In second place was senior Victoria Pekrul, with a score of 8.4. Her song was “Lone Digger,” by Caravan Palace. Sophomore Abbie Wallace and Turner tied for third place, with a score of 7.9. Turner’s song of choice was “7 Years,” by Lukas Graham. The team’s final cumulative score on the floor was 32.9.

The Tigerfish went upstairs to do their next event. Russo led the vault crew with a score of 8.5. Turner came in second with a score of 8.4. O’Flynn came in third with a score of 8.1. The whole team had little to no tumbles in the event. The vault was their best event with a score of 33.

The last event for the Tigerfish was the bar. Some fouls in the bar did not cost the Tigerfish their lead. Although their worst statistical event, the Tigerfish showed promise and poise. Turner came in first with a score of 7.4. Pekrul and Russo tied for second with a score of 7.2. Overall the team finished with a cumulative score of 28.2 in the event. They finished the meet with a score of 125 to Peabody’s 74.5.

“This was the best score of the season,” Head Coach Sofia Gallo said. “I think the girls all performed very well. This is their strongest performance since I have been a coach for four years.”

GHS Gymnastics moves to 3-0 in their league. They will face Malden next, on February 1st.