Fishermen get a hold of the Falcons

View+of+the+hockey+game+from+the+student+section.++

Nicholas Poulin

View of the hockey game from the student section.

YAHIR COLLADO, Staff Writer

Fresh off of an 8-3 victory, the Fishermen Hockey team tamed the Danvers Falcons at home this past Saturday. In light of fans allowed back into the stands, GHS Hockey put on a show with a 4-2 win.

“We came out flying in the first and second period,” captain Daniel O’Leary said. “We slowed down a bit in the third. We played our systems well, with a lot of speed.”

Emerson Marshall, of Gloucester, scored the game’s first goal off a double move. Fishermen Timmy Marrone’s steal led to the goal from Marshall. The Fishermen were very physical. They were forced to the penalty box often. Gloucester’s defense stayed strong, even in situations where they were down a man. GHS’ second goal came from a blocked power-play shot from Marshall in which he broke away and scored. Although scoreless, the Falcons led the first period in shots. The first period concluded with the Fishermen up 2-0. 

The Falcons started the second period with a power-play which led to nothing. The period continued with the same physicality the first had. Marshall, from the wing, lasered in the third goal of the game. Jack Costanzo assisted Marshall with a beautiful pass. The fans threw hats on the ice to celebrate Marshall’s “Hat Trick.” The score was then 3-0 Fishermen. Gloucester’s Costanzo powered through Danvers’ defense to score the game’s next goal. The Fishermen ended the period up 4-0.

Danvers did not leave the game without a fight. The Danvers’ offense was in sync to start the third. Danvers’ first goal came from Falcon Aiden Lanphere, who capitalized off a deflected shot. Falcon Ty Langlais scored Danvers’ second goal off of a 5 hole. With 8:27 left in the game, the score was 4-2 Fishermen. The second half of the third period was a battle of puck possession. The Fishermen applied some offensive pressure but relied on their tight defense to finish the game. Goalie Nick Tarantino played great in net with 21 saves to end the night. Gloucester completed the game up 4-2.

“I was very pleased with our intensity and effort tonight,” Head Coach Derek Geary said. “Danvers makes you play 45 minutes. They are always tough and physical and play with a lot of emotion. I thought we answered that challenge, despite a bit of sloppiness in the third period, and earned a hard-fought win. I thought the sportsmanship was great for both teams and it was a well-played game.”

GHS Hockey moves on to 9-2 on the season. Gloucester’s next game will be on Wednesday, at home against Marblehead.