GHS swim win streak continues

Swimmer Elijah Sarrouf practices his backstroke

CLARA DEL VECCHIO, Staff Writer

Jakob Parpart

The GHS Fisherman swim team beat Peabody in their home meet on 1/11/21, with a final score of 103-66, their third consecutive win. The team, established in 2014, started their seventh season strong, with a current collective score of 3-1, resulting from wins against Salem, Beverly, and Peabody, and a loss to Masconomet. 

First places were won by GHS junior Elijah Sarrouf in the 50 freestyle, GHS senior and team captain Caroline McKay in the 500 freestyle, GHS sophomore Willow Barry in the 200 IM, and GHS senior and team captain Jakob Parpart in the 100 butterfly. Willow Barry, GHS junior Charlie Groleau, Caroline McKay, and Jakob Parpart won first place in both the 200 medley relay and the 400 freestyle relay. An additional first place was won in the 200 freestyle relay from RHS junior Liam Mulry, GHS junior and team captain Seamus Buckley, GHS junior Tyler Weed, and Elijah Sarrouf.

“We’ve had a really strong season so far, and I’m really proud of everyone on the team for getting us there,” said Seamus Buckley. “The team has grown so much over the past few years, and I’m really looking forward to a great rest of the season.”

Students from Rockport High School can now join the GHS swim team, and the athletes now practice at the new YMCA, with returning coach Laura Dale, and new coach Stuart Noiseux. The team is also back to having meets in person. Because of the pandemic restrictions last year, swimmers had been racing by themselves and then comparing their times to the opposing team.

“It’s a lot more fun to be able to swim against actual people,” Willow Barry said. “It’s easier to pace yourself and stay motivated to go fast.”

The number of spectators allowed at meets has been limited to one person per athlete, but for those interested in still watching, the meets are available to be streamed online.

The team’s next meet is an away meet on the 18th against Marblehead, with the following meets on the 25th against Danvers, and on February 2nd against Swampscott. Swimmers who qualify will also compete in conferences, sectionals, and states, but the dates have not been announced yet.