GHS drama cuts loose this spring

Treely Dowd

Choreographers Emily Gossom (left) and Trinity O’Leary (right) teach cast members the dance for the Footloose finale.

MICHAEL MERCHANT, Staff Writer

The GHS drama club’s production of the spring musical “Footloose” is underway. Featuring Nate Oaks as Ren McCormack, Haley Weed as Ariel Moore, and nineteen other students, the show follows a city boy who moves to a small country town that has banned dancing. It explores themes of grief, self expression, independence, and freedom. 

“Footloose” is a jukebox musical, which means the music was not written specifically for the show. 

“I love how the songs in the musical are songs that everyone has grown up with on the radio,” Emily Corrao, who plays Ethel McCormack, said. Because it’s set in the 80s, people of all ages can recognize and enjoy the musical for what it is.”

Footloose will be the first musical performed live at GHS since “Mamma Mia” in 2019.

“I’m excited about Footloose, it’s nice to be able to perform in a musical live again,” Aurelia Harrison, who plays Chuck Cranston, said. “Filming High School Musical was fun and had its own advantages, but you can’t beat live theatre.”

Rehearsals for the show began this January, but there is still time to sign up for tech crew. Tech crew sign-ups are available on the drama club website

The show will be performed from March 31st to April 2nd. Tickets will be available for purchase at the door or pre-ordered online. 

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: Spring musical “Footloose”

WHEN: Thursday, March 31st, at 7:00pm, Friday, April 1st, at 7:00pm, Saturday, April 2nd, at 1:00pm & 7:00pm

WHERE: GHS Auditorium 

HOW MUCH: Pre-orders: $8 for students, $13 general admission

At the door: $10 for students, $15 general admission