Fishermen hockey cruises to 6-0 against Beverly

Yahir Collado

Gloucester’s Nicholas White faces off against Beverly

YAHIR COLLADO, Staff Writer

GHS Fishermen Hockey extends their win streak to 6, after a 6-3 win vs Beverly Panthers. Gloucester’s effortless passing and shot creation led them to a win.

“We started off slow,” said senior Robert Schuster. “We stepped up when it really mattered.”

“All three lines showed up to play and worked very hard,” said senior Daniel O’Leary.

At the start of the game, Gloucester controlled the puck. Fishermen sophomore Emerson Marshall scored the game’s first goal off of a previously failed shot attempt. Panthers Jeffrey Hallinan scored the game’s next goal to tie the game at 1-1. Beverly’s defense held strong until the end of the first period. Gloucester senior Jack Costanzo used his speed to get past the defender for an easy goal, shot inches away from the net. The score was then 2-1 Gloucester. Costanzo scored coming in short from the top left corner in the final minute of the first. The Fishermen finished the period being up 3-1. 

Panthers Austin Bernard scored the first goal of the second. Fisherman Costanzo answered back almost immediately when he scored after a quick pass from sophomore Joseph Orlando. Costanzo ended the night with a hat trick for himself. The period concluded with Gloucester up 4-2. 

The Fishermen led the game in shots with 18, after the first two periods. 

Gloucester opened the third with a goal from junior Drew White, assisted by O’Leary. After playing a sloppy defense, Beverly earned a 5 on 3 which resulted in a Panther goal from Gavin Lawrence. The game was then 5-3 Gloucester. The last goal of the game came from a no-look pass from Costanzo to sophomore Colby Jewell. Although Beverly possessed the puck towards the end, they couldn’t get it behind the net. At the end of the game Beverly and Gloucester were tied 22-22 in shots on the net. The final score was 6-3 Gloucester.

“I thought it was a stiff challenge from a Beverly team that is better than their record,” said Head Coach Derek Geary. “Their first line was outstanding and obviously their powerplay did a lot of damage. We were able to find a few key offensive plays at good times and played well in the second half of the third,” Geary said. “I thought for much of the second and third period, we were outplayed, credit to Beverly. We will continue to try and improve.”

Gloucester moves to 6-0 on the season and will face Masco at home this Saturday. Spectators cannot attend games unless they are related to a player on the team.