Boys soccer dominates East Boston – advances to round of 16

+Andrew+Coelho+celebrates+with+teammates+Geremy+Palacios+and+Aidan+Almeida+after+scoring+and+breaking+the+record+for+most+goals+in+a+season+

Kevin de Oliveria

Andrew Coelho celebrates with teammates Geremy Palacios and Aidan Almeida after scoring and breaking the record for most goals in a season

ANDREW COELHO, Staff Writer

The GHS Boys soccer team looks to continue their historic season after a big win in the first round of the playoffs. They advanced to the round of 16 of the MIAA 2021 Boys Soccer State Championship and host Greater New Bedford today.

Gloucester dominated East Boston this Saturday, with an emphatic 5-0 win. With a win on Wednesday, they will be the longest lasting GHS soccer team in postseason history. 

Senior captain Andrew Coelho opened the scoring in the first 5 minutes of the game when Gloucester was awarded a penalty. He placed it in the bottom left corner, sending the goalie the wrong way. 

With this goal, Coelho broke the single season scoring record at GHS, previously set by former teammate Anthony Suazo. 

Within the next 5 minutes, Gloucester doubled their lead when Coelho flew down the left wing and found Geremy Palacios in the box. About 10 minutes later, Coelho found himself on the wing again and crossed it to Gino Tripoli, who scored a fantastic header. 

Going into the second half being up 3-0, Gloucester knew East Boston were going to come out flying in the second half, as their season depended on it. 

In the 50th minute, East Boston created their best chance of the game when senior captain Max Sperry made a very impressive double save to maintain the clean sheet. 

Shortly after, captain Jack Patten played a ball to Coelho in the middle, who turned and found Kayky Barbosa on the wing. Coelho continued his run and was set up by Palacios, on a beautiful one touch lay off. Coelho added his second goal of the night, setting the tally of most goals scored in a season to 28 (and still counting). 

Late in the second half, Patten lined up to take a free kick from well over 30 yards. The bench exploded when Patten beat the keeper with an absolute laser into the top right corner. 

Gloucester will host Greater New Bedford on TODAY in the round of 16 at Newell Stadium with a 6pm kick off. There will be a $10 fee for adults and a $5 fee for students and senior citizens. 

Tickets can be bought at https://gofan.co/app/school/MA14579