Gloucester football falls to Peabody

Gloucester football falls to Peabody

YAHIR COLLADO, Staff Writer

Coming off of last week’s win, Gloucester Football dropped a tough matchup 35-8 at Peabody. This past Friday, the Fishermen went to Peabody’s senior night with the goal of coming out with a win, but quickly fell downhill after Tanners sophomore Eli Batista had a three-interception game.

The game started in Peabody’s favor when they won the coin toss and elected to receive. Peabody entered the game averaging 26 points per game. 

Starting off, the Tanners marched down the field with an even selection of run and pass plays. When Peabody arrived inside the 10, QB Shea Lynch threw a 9-yard touchdown to Jovante Dailey. The Tanners converted on the PAT and brought their lead to 7-0. Gloucester’s first play with the ball was a run up the middle although having 4 receivers out on the field.

After a few plays, Gloucester’s Cameron Widtfeldt received the ball off a pass from QB Nick Carey, which resulted in a first down and a big gain. Gloucester tried to capitalize off the big play but failed, which led to a turnover the ball on downs. On Peabody’s second play of their second drive, the Tanners kept 4 receivers out on the field, and as a result of trying to go for a deep pass play,

Gloucester’s Aidan Cornetta picked the ball off to bring the Fishermen back on offense. Gloucester’s offense continued to struggle and finished the drive with a punt. Peabody finished the first quarter up 7-0.

In the second quarter, the Tanners decided to play it safe and run the ball which brought them great success along with time off the clock. After holding the Tanners’ offense inside the ten for a few plays, the Fishermen defense cracked and let up a rushing touchdown to Derek Patturelli. Peabody’s PAT was good and the score increased to 14-0.

Being down 14-0, Gloucester’s first play out on offense was intercepted by Batista after a failed pass to Frank Desisto. In the next play, the Tanners threw a 27-yard touchdown pass to Danny Barrett in the corner of the endzone. After their successful PAT, their lead increased to 21-0 with eight and a half minutes left in the second quarter.

Gloucester moved the ball down the field with hopes to get on the board before the half. The Fishermen fumbled in Peabody territory and gave the ball back to the Tanners. Daviel Canela broke off multiple Fishermen defenders and scored on an 87-yard run play right after the fumble recovery. After the converted PAT, The Tanners lead sits at 28-0. 

Gloucester again gets the ball picked off by Batista when they went back on offense. Peabody’s Jordan Tompkins took advantage of the turnover and scored a touchdown on a 5 yard run. Peabody’s lead grew to 35-0 after their PAT. Peabody ran out the first half after a third interception by Batista.

In the third and fourth quarters, Peabody’s offense chewed the clown down, already having a 35-0 lead in the game. Gloucester’s offense struggled in most if not all of the third and fourth quarters. At the end of the fourth, Gloucester ended up scoring a touchdown off of Cornetta and company’s efforts.

Gloucester decided to go for two instead of a PAT and successfully finished the two point conversation which brought the game’s score to 35-8. Peabody finished the game chewing down any time that was left as a result of already having a substantial lead.

“The kids played hard,” said Gloucester Coach Dan O’Connor. “We just gave them too many opportunities. Turnovers, missed tackles, short fields were too hard to overcome.”

Peabody keeps their playoff hopes alive bringing their record to 3-4. Gloucester falls to 1-6. The Fishermen now look forward to their Senior Night, this Saturday at 1 PM vs the Beverly Panthers.