GHS Football wins first game of the season

Treely Dowd

Nick Carey runs the ball for a touchdown against the Sachems

YAHIR COLLADO, Staff Writer

After a hectic day last Friday, GHS Football brought students some much-needed energy by securing their first win of the season in a 20-7 victory against Saugus. GHS came into their homecoming game 0-5 craving a victory.

Gloucester started off the game electric, not allowing Saugus a 1st down after their failed 4th down attempt. Gloucester started off with a run play that got short yardage. In the next play, Gloucester called QB Nick Carey in a 25 yard QB draw, which resulted in a Fisherman touchdown. The point after touchdown failed but nevertheless kept Gloucester’s lead at 6-0. Throughout the first quarter, Gloucester’s defense sent a lot of pressure at Saugus, blitzing consistently. 

To start the second quarter, Saugus was within the Fisherman 10 yard line and didn’t convert on 4th Down. Caleb Decoste started the Fisherman’s 2nd Quarter offense with a 47-yard run. After a few plays and a penalty on the offense, Carey hit Decoste for a 20-yard completion. Decoste later finishes the drive with an 8-yard touchdown reception. Gloucester went for two after the touchdown and Running Back Frank Desisto converted, pushing Gloucester’s lead to 14-0. Gloucester finished the half leading the game with 187 yards of total offense, Decoste owning a solid 40 percent of it.

During Halftime, Aidan Donald and his longtime girlfriend Chiara O’Connor were crowned homecoming king and queen. After the homecoming ceremony, Gloucester received the ball after deferring it to start the game.

In the second half of the game, Gloucester chewed up the clock, running the ball, and throwing some pass plays. The Fisherman finished their first 3rd quarter drive with a failed 4th down attempt, giving the Sachems the ball back. Saugus QB Sean O’Rourke threw a 47-yard Touchdown to Drew Gardiner putting Saugus back in the game. Saugus scored the extra point, and the game was 14-7. Gloucester marched down the field and finished the 3rd Quarter in the red zone. 

On the first play in the 4th Quarter, Gloucester’s Desisto took in a 3-yard jet sweep for a touchdown. Gloucester failed on the 2 point try which left their lead at 20-7. The Sachems tried to begin their 4th Quarter with more aggression, which backfired on them when Defensive Back Aidan Cornetta picked the ball off of the tipped pass. Gloucester’s Decoste bulldozed his way through the Saugus defense to start off Gloucester’s second drive.

After a few plays, Gloucester failed to convert on another 4th down, resulting in the Sachems being rewarded with the ball. The Sachems marched down the field desperately needing a touchdown, but Gloucester won the ball back due to failed passing attempts by the Sachems. Gloucester ended the game running out the clock and securing their first win of the season.

GHS’ record now improves to 1-5 while Saugus drops to 0-6. The Fishermen prepare for their next matchup in Peabody next Friday at 7PM.