Boys soccer pursues Divisional title

Team+captain+Andrew+Coelho+leads+the+NEC+in+scoring+with+13+goals+

Mark Elliot Graham

Team captain Andrew Coelho leads the NEC in scoring with 13 goals

ANDREW COELHO, Staff Writer

The GHS Boys soccer team opened the season strong, and after a few bumps in the road they have maintained their form with recent success. Gloucester (6-2) are undefeated in the NEC South and are in pursuit of a title. 

With a thrashing 7-0 win in their first game of the season against Saugus, GHS continued this momentum on their home opener in a hard fought 2-1 win against Danvers. The boys then traveled to Rockport to play against their neighboring town rival, where they took care of business and dominated in a 11-1 win. 

In Winthrop, GHS Soccer glided to a 3-0 start in the NEC South in a nail-biter that came down to a goal line clearance in the final minutes of the game to preserve the win.

Later that week, Gloucester hit their first fork in the road in Peabody with a frustrating 2-1 loss. 

After suffering their first defeat, they had to bounce back strongly with their next opponent being Masconomet, the NEC North leaders. This game came down to the wire in a very impressive defensive performance from all 11 players on the field. 

Gloucester opened up scoring when Captain Andrew Coelho won the ball back and found Geremey Palacios, who kept his composure and placed it in the bottom corner off the post. Masco kept the pressure on and in the last 15 minutes of the game, scored 2 quick goals to stay undefeated. 

Coach Armando Marnoto was proud of the full team effort against one of the best teams in the state. Following these two losses, Gloucester knew they had to come out the gates flying against NEC South opponent Saugus. 

In the first 25 minutes, Gloucester took control of the game after putting three goals past Saugus. Coelho opened up the scoring with a pass from Freshman Wesdra DaSilva. Coelho then found Palacios on back to back plays to make it 3-0. Later in the first half, Charles King flew past his defender and found Coelho in the 6 yard box to close the half at 4-0. 

In the second half, Gloucester kept the same intensity and knew that the job wasn’t finished. Captain Aidan Almeida got on the score sheet with his bar down shot, with Palacios getting the assist. Coelho added two more second half goals and DaSilva scored his first varsity goal as Gloucester cruised past Saugus 9-0.

This win puts Gloucester at 6-2 and a 4-0 record against NEC South opponents. In search of a NEC South title, their next game is against Marblehead, the only NEC South team they’ve yet to face. With the importance of this game, Gloucester knows how high the stakes are and aren’t going to take any team lightly. 

Come and support your fellow student athletes this Wednesday at Marblehead High, 7pm kick off time. The following day on Thursday, Gloucester hosts Hamilton Wenham at Newell Stadium with a 4:30pm kickoff.