Gloucester baseball narrowly defeats Marblehead

Vanessa Torres

Zach Morris pitches from the stretch in the 7th inning against Marblehead.

ANNIKA NYBORG, Staff Writer

Gloucester High baseball went head to head with Marblehead on Monday, in an extremely intense and competitive game resulting in a win for the Fisherman. The team beat Marblehead 5-4 in a real nail biter. With this win GHS goes to 10 wins and 4 losses on the season. The Fisherman are now 3-3 in the Northeastern North conference which places them at 3rd in the conference.

The team played a good game both at bat and in the field. The hitting by the team was on point. Junior’s Jack Costanzo and Zachary Oliver lead the way with their bats but Sophomore Zachary Morris had the best hit of the night, with a powerful home run that drove in Oliver. Marblehead intentionally walked Morris for the rest of the game. 

To start the game Senior Zachary Abbott pitched an excellent 6 and a half innings, followed by a good inning and half at first base. Morris had a really great inning and half of relief. The pitching was backed up by another great defensive show in both the outfield and the infield making several fantastic plays that stopped Marblehead from taking the lead in the game. 

Gloucester will finish up the regular season next Monday against the Winthrop Vikings in Winthrop. After that the Fisherman will wait to see where they are seeded in the playoffs as they will look to add to a very good season with a deep playoff run.