Girls lacrosse opens season with .500 record

Charlie Groleau

Faith Brown battles with Swampscott opponent in Monday’s game.

ELISE AMARAL, Staff Writer

This week, Gloucester High School girls Lacrosse won their first game of the season against the Salem Witches, but suffered a loss in their second game to the Swampscott Big Blues.

The girls welcomed new head Coach Manny Lopes, after Michael Lattof retired from coaching last year. Coach Lopes has previously coached for the Varsity Girls Lacrosse team in Revere and currently coaches for the Varsity Boys soccer team at Revere High School.

This is a young team, with no seniors, leaving the junior class to step up and take on the leadership roles.

In their game against Salem the team had persevered through the hardship of a time reschedule and location change. 

Gloucester won with a solid score of 11-0, with goals by freshman Ella Costa (3), junior and Captain Sophia Costa (2), junior and Captain Faith Brown (2), sophomore Nicole Gardner (2), junior and Captain Zoe Hedges (2), and freshman Brooke McNiff (1). 

The win also gifted sophomore goalie Ella Zindle with a shutout.

“I’m so proud of all of the lacrosse girls, it has been so great to see everyone putting all of their effort in and working as a team lately.” said junior Captain Hedges. Hopefully we can keep up the hard work and finish with a successful season!”

On Monday the 10th, GHS hosted the second game of their season at home where they suffered a 12-0 loss from Swampscott who had a more experienced team.

With playing a more experienced team with less experienced players it gave the girls the opportunity to notice what they need to work on both defensively and offensively.

“Although Swampscott was a tough loss, it was a good learning experience for all of the new girls starting this year. We worked hard and made improvements within the game.” said captain Brown. “I am happy with how hard my team worked and how we didn’t give up despite the loss. We will come back out for future games stronger and more prepared from this loss.

There were issues in the first half of the game due to distractions, however the Fisherman pulled through and stepped up on the defense to show that they weren’t backing down without a fight. 

Don’t miss their next game on Thursday May 13 at Newell Stadium against the Beverly Panthers at 4:30 pm.