Gloucester soccer takes down Beverly

Mark Elliot Graham

Sophomore Yuniel Sanchez Batiz takes on the Beverly defender Nick Braganca in their game on Tuesday night

ANDREW COELHO, Staff Writer

The GHS boys soccer team shocked the entire conference at their home opener Tuesday night with a 4-0 win against the reigning North Eastern Conference North champions, Beverly High. 

After an intense first quarter, both teams entered the second quarter scoreless. Less than 2 minutes into the second quarter, Junior Captain Andrew Coelho broke the deadlock with a perfectly placed strike from outside the box. 

Entering halftime with a score of 1-0, Gloucester knew the job wasn’t done. In the third quarter, Senior Robert Mugabe intercepted a misplaced pass and tucked it into the back of the net to double their lead. Gloucester continued to shut down Beverly’s offensive and continued to dominate all throughout the third quarter.

In the opening minutes of the fourth quarter, Freshman Gino Tripoli got on the score sheet after he curved his shot into the top right corner, making it 3-0. Captain Coelho got his second goal of the night late in the fourth quarter to seal the deal. 

Very impressive defensive play from Gloucester’s back line to secure their first clean sheet of the season. Their backline consists of all Juniors with Captain Jack Patten, Aidan Almeida, Daniel Hafey, Gerson TiulRax and goalkeeper Captain Maxwell Sperry.

Gloucester improves their record to 2-1 and they look to keep this winning streak going on the road where they face Danvers High on Friday night at 6:30 pm.