The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Pop into Present for locally sourced gifts

Lisa Bruce
Handmade ornament display in the showcase window at Present Gloucester.

As society dives head-first into the holidays, many fall victim to the complexity of gift giving, and the stress that comes with it. But fear not, as the local pop-up shop, Present, has the solution to all of your problems. 

Located in the Last Stop Cafe near Rocky Neck, Present is host to a wide array of local businesses along Cape Ann. The pop-up store, originally started in 2006, has grown in popularity and this year features the following brands: Wired Knitter, Cape Ann Sea Salt, Fractal Earth Designs, Eleven Eleven Elixir, Salty Yarn and Holdfast Co. 

Although different companies can be found in the shop, independent artists also have the opportunity to produce material for Present. This year’s list of independent artists includes: Ari Puynam Dimon, Audi Souza, Mary Rhinelander, Craig Kimberly, Lisa Bruce, Laurel MacDonald, Peter Lacey, Stevens Brosnihan, Stephanie Mason and Debbie Gray. 

“It is built on the idea of community,” Salty Yarn owner Amanda Cook said. “It’s a place where members can take creative risks and make things that are outside of the mainstream.” 

One of the appealing aspects of the shop is the variety of handmade trinkets, ranging from intricate paintings to crocheted ornaments to body care. As the holidays near, shopping locally becomes vital as there is a wider selection of gifts that tailor specifically to Gloucester residents. 

“Present is unique because it has become a sort of event,” said Cook. “People look forward to the shop opening to figure out where we will be, and to see what the members have made.”  

Present is open Monday-Saturday from 10 to 5 and Sunday from 12 to 5. Any last minute shoppers will have until Christmas Eve to stop by the shop, and see all that these artists have to offer.