• Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!

Gloucester Zine Fest comes to Sawyer Free Library

The official poster for the Gloucester Zine Fest.

On April 27th, from 11am to 3pm, The Sawyer Free Library will present a brand-new, never seen before event to the Gloucester community: Gloucester Zine Fest. An all-day celebration centered around zine creation, DIY publishing, and artistic expression, this event is free to attend for all ages. No reservation or ticket is required to attend.

So what exactly is a zine? A shortening of “fanzine” or “magazine”, zines are short-form, handmade print publications that come in all styles and forms. Historically, zines have been a tool of both fandoms and marginalized communities as a unique form of self-expression. Combining visual and written elements, zines are a powerful medium for spreading ideas and enriching the creative spirit.

Attendees of Zine Fest will have the opportunity to engage in a range of activities: exploring the Zine marketplace and the library’s own zine collection, creating original zines, listening in on zinester talks, and enjoying live music and refreshments. Workshops will be led by Cape Ann Art Haven and the Cape Ann Museum throughout the day.

If all that doesn’t sound enticing enough, Zine Fest has partnered with Holy Cow Ice Cream to provide sweet treats, and goodie bags will be awarded to the first 200 attendees.

“The Sawyer Free Library is thrilled to host Cape Ann’s first-ever Zine Fest,” Library Director, Jenny Benedict, said. “Zines are a form of creative expression that amplify diverse voices and narratives. Through this festival, we are fostering creativity, celebrating community, and encouraging dialogue. And whether this will be the first time you’ve encountered the vast and diverse world of zines or you’ve been making them for years, there will be something fun for you.”

For more information, visit the Zine Fest’s official website with the Sawyer Free Library here.

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: Gloucester Zine Fest

WHERE: 20 and 21 Main Street

WHEN: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

WHO: The Sawyer Free Library, along with many local businesses and creatives!

Scheduled events:

11:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.: Zine Making for Kids with Art Haven at 20 Main Street

11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m.: Performance by Gloucester Student Band (outside) at 20 Main Street 

12:00 -1:00 p.m.; Whatcha’ Mean a Zine? : Zine workshop with Zinester and Librarian Dawn Stahura 

Dawn Stahura is a zinester, artist, dreamer and schemer from Salem, MA. She’s been publishing zines since the early 90s and currently teaches Salem State students how to make their own zines. Outside of teaching, she sits on the Board of Directors for the Papercut Zine Library in Boston. Her zine writing interests include dismantling the patriarchy, witchcraft, and feminism. You can read more about her work at www.dawnstahura.com

1:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Zine Making for Adults and Teens with Art Haven at 20 Main Street

1:30 – 2:30 p.m. : Performance by Rest Button (outside) at 20 Main Street

All-day events:

at 20 Main Street: Zine Marketplace with local Zinesters, Typewriter Room, Holy Cow Ice Cream, Sketch Portraits 

at 21 Main Street: Historic Photo Collage Craft with Cape Ann Museum Teen Council