The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Gloucester Outlasts Masco in First NEC Clash Of Season

Emma+Carrapichosa+hits+the+ball.+
Aleena Brown
Emma Carrapichosa hits the ball.

The Gloucester Fishermen softball team rose to their first NEC win of the season, passing the Masconomet Chieftans in a 13-9 win in extra innings.

The Fishermen were led offensively by junior Tasara Frontiero, who put up 3 hits including a double. The left fielder also put up a total of 5 runs for Gloucester. Captain Jenna Connelly had 2 big hits for Gloucester, including one hard knock in extra innings.

Emma Carrapichosa had a three-run triple in the last regular inning to get Gloucester back into the game. The hit was inches from being hit out of the park; the Chieftan outfielders failed to get the ball in fast enough to minimize the sophomore’s damage.

In extras, consecutive knocks by the meat of the Fishermen line-up allowed Gloucester to score four runs in the 8th inning. Freshman Mackayla Allen, in her debut game for Gloucester, launched the ball to the outfield to allow Gloucester to get into scoring position and lead the team going into the bottom of the inning.

Lights-out pitching by Cam Carroll in the last inning secured Gloucester’s win, with the team getting two strikeouts and an out to end it. 

Along with Allen, we also saw debuts for freshmen Olivia Madruga and Maddie Goodhue, with the former at catcher and the latter pinch-running for the Fishermen. 

At points, the team struggled defensively, but a strong offensive drive across the board led Gloucester to their first win of the season.

The girls will face Marblehead on Wednesday, a team who opened their season 9-3 against Reading Memorial. The team is 1-0 on the young season, hoping to snag another win in the NEC in their next matchup.

*FINAL*

Gloucester 13 : Masconomet 9

C. Carroll – 8 IP

T. Frontiero – 3 H, 1 2B, 5 R

E. Carrapichosa – 2 H, 1 3B

J. Connely – 2 H

M. Allen – 1 H

Next Game: 

1-0 Gloucester vs 1-0 Marblehead

Marblehead Veterans Middle School (Vets 1 Field)

4:30 Start Time

Any updates on game cancellations or changes will be posted on social media sites like Instagram, X or Facebook at “GHS Fishermen Athletics”.