Big Blue falls to Fishermen

Michael Lattof

Sal Costanzo carries the puck down the ice

BRIANNA FERNANDES, Staff Writer

The Gloucester Fishermen boys hockey team traveled to Rockett Arena in Salem last night to play against the Swampscott Big Blue. The Fishermen battled for the win, and ended with a score of 5-3.

Both teams started off strong. Gloucester freshman E.J. Field scored the first goal of the game with an assist by junior Ethan Brennan. Gloucester finished the first period with a 1-0 lead.

The second period started off with another goal for Gloucester scored by senior captain Liam Lyons, assisted by sophomores Colby Mitchell and Derek Hopkins.

Shortly after Lyons’ goal, Swampscott’s Louis Olivieri scored the first goal for Swampscott. Field answered towards the end of the period with another goal, assisted by juniors Chris Noyes and Sam Poliskey. Gloucester remained in the lead by the end of the second with a score of 3-1.

Swampscott’s Mike Johnson attempted to put his team back in the lead after scoring the first goal of the third period. Gloucester’s senior captain Sal Costanzo scored shortly after Johnson’s goal, with assists from E.J. Field and John John Mondello.

The score remained 4-2 until three minutes left in the final period. Swampscott’s Louis Olivieri scored, changing the score to 4-3.

With a minute left in the game, Swampscott pulled their goalie, Daniel Johnson. The faceoff started in Gloucester’s defensive zone and both teams scrambled to the puck. However, Gloucester’s Eric Chalmers gained control of the puck and sent it into Swampscott’s empty net with seconds left to play.

The Fishermen’s next game is Wednesday, February 1st, at 6:30 at Dorothy Talbot Rink against the Revere Patriots.