La Camiseta Rosada strikes again

Cameron Muniz

Students and staff pose in the shape of a pink ribbon to show support for cancer survivors.

CAMERON MUNIZ and MILA BARRY

On Friday, students and staff gathered into the gymnasium for the annual breast cancer awareness, “Think Pink” fundraiser. 

World language teachers, Carol Finacey and Rayanne Menery, sell pink t-shirts for $15.00 in order to raise money for breast cancer awareness. The pastel-colored shirts have “GHS Thinks Pink” with a ribbon printed on them.  

The fundraiser has run annually from 2001, and this year about $700 dollars was raised.  All proceeds were donated to breast cancer patients and research.

With over 50 participants this year, it’s clear that this issue hits close to home at GHS.  Many teachers have been personally affected by cancer and the school is determined to show its support.

“This year [all the money] went to teachers who survivors are who have just finished treatment,” said Finacey, a breast cancer survivor and the fundraiser’s main advocate.

Across the nation, the issue is also poignant.  According to U.S. Breast Cancer Statistics, approximately 268,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the United States this year

Thanks to Finacey, GHS is doing its part to combat this trend.

“It is very moving to see all of the students dressed in pink,” said Finacey, “It is very moving to see people helping people.”