• Prom on 5/31!
  • Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • No school on Memorial Day 5/27!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!
  • Seniors last day on 5/24!

Fishermen burn Falcons in 2-0 NEC Win

Aleena Brown
Julia Carrancho rounds 3rd base in pursuit of home.

The Gloucester Fishermen Softball team sent the Danvers Falcons to the fire pits last Friday, scorching them in a 2-0 shutout win. 

Ava Paone and Emma Carrapichosa scored Gloucester’s two runs of the day. Carrapichosa, along with her run, hit an RBI double deep into the outfield while Paone had two hits. Mackayla Allen also performed well on offense at the lead-off spot.

Pitcher Cameron Carroll had a big game in the circle, with seven strikeouts across her seven innings pitched. The defense behind the senior was spot-on too, with stellar plays all across the diamond. Julia Carrancho and Jenna Connely shined in the outfield, thwarting any chances for Danvers to score on hits to the outfield. The stars of the defensive game, however, were shortstop Laila Ciaramitaro and second baseman Paone. Ciaramitaro made stunning catches on the left side of the diamond, making line-drive catches as well as catches on bloopers around second base. Paone was also rock solid on the right side, making a foul catch on the first base fence to secure Gloucester’s win. Freshman catcher Olivia Madruga also made a difficult catch of her own, dropping her mask behind the plate to get a short foul pop-up right behind her.

After the team’s 4-3 loss versus the Danvers Falcons, beating their rivals in the second matchup of the season put the Fishermen in a good place for their next matchup. Their next opponent that awaits is the St.Mary Spartans, who are currently ranked 2nd in Divison 3. Gloucester, ranked 17th in last Friday morning’s list, looks to take down the Divison 3 powerhouse on May 6th. Come to support the Fishermen down at the high school at 4:00pm.