• Don't forget your summer reading! https://ghsreads01930.weebly.com/
  • Graduation June 9th, 4:00 p.m. Newell Stadium
  • Final exams 6/11 - 6/13

Fishermen softball shuts out Witches

Aleena Brown
Cam Carroll (center) high fives teammates Ava Paone (back) and Lily Aiello (right)

The Gloucester Fishermen softball team went fishing for witches last night, shutting out Salem in an 18-0 win.

Senior starting pitcher, Cameron Carroll, struck out a total of 8 batters and only allowed one hit throughout the five-inning game. 

The Fishermen came into the game quick after holding the Witches during the top of the first. The girls ended the 1st inning up 6, thanks to knocks from Captain Jenna Connelly, Olivia Madruga, Cam Carroll, Mackayla Allen, Emma Carrapichosa, and Julia Carrancho. 

Carroll doubled in the next inning while Madruga crushed a triple over Salem’s outfielder’s head. The Fishermen brought the score to a comfortable 12-0 in the second inning.

The Fishermen’s freshmen had a big night across the board, with hits from Madruga, Allen, Julia Palk, and Aleena Brown. Maddie Goodhue also notched an RBI walk. Brown crushed a double on the left field line, while Palk had a good single. 

After facing Gigi Aupont, Bishop Fenwick’s D1 committed pitcher, two days ago, it was a big change for the Fishermen. Going from a pitcher throwing around 60 mph to Salem’s pitcher, the team adjusted well to captilize during last night’s game.

The Fishermen’s defense was on point, thwarting any chance the Witches got to make it on base. Madruga was a wall behind the plate for Carroll and plays by Ava Paone, Carrapichosa, and Serina Russo helped the game remain scoreless on Salem’s end.

Brown, relieving Madruga behind the dish, was solid in her two innings catching. The freshman caught a tough ball in front of the plate for the out and got an out on a bunt attempt, throwing to Maddie Battle.

Carroll got her final K in the fifth inning and the defense delivered on two groundouts, with Ashlyn Orlando flipping the last out to first to end the game. 

The now 4-6 Fishermen look to get revenge on the Danvers Falcons this Friday at home with a start time of 4:30pm. 

FINAL

C.Carroll – 5 IP, 8 Ks, 2 2Bs

O.Madruga – 3B, 1B

Captain J.Connelly – 2 1B

J.Carrancho – 2B

A.Brown – 2B

M.Allen – 1B (RBI)