History department offers educational trip to Peru

Pedro Szekely

The sanctuary of Machu Picchu, an iconic symbol of pre-Columbian Peru

SKYE JACKSON, Staff Writer

Next spring, the History department is taking a once-in-a-lifetime educational trip to Peru on the “Make a Difference: Cuzco & Machu Picchu” tour.  

The students who go will be taught lessons in philanthropy by teaching school children, and creating sustainable gardens. The trip is during April break of 2021, (open to all students) and the students will be flying to Peru. The students will spend their time in Lima, Cuzco, Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu while they are in Peru. 

“We are beyond excited to offer this opportunity to our students where they will see one of the greatest wonders of the world while being immersed in a different culture and participating in four days of service in a local community,” said GHS Teacher Rosa Goulart.

There are many options for students to fund the trip: they can pay in full, pay monthly, or pay in three increments. Students will have the opportunity to raise funds individually on a personal ‘go fund me’ type site linked to the Explorica website.  

“We also plan to have several larger fundraisers throughout the year to help defer the cost,” said Goulart. “Students can also apply for a scholarship through the Explorica website once they complete their registrations.” 

“I think it is really important for kids to do service work so that they can get a sense that the world is bigger than they are,” said GHS History teacher Alyssa D’Antonio. “It will be something you can use to help educate your friends around you, your family.

“They are going to get an amazing experience in one of the seven wonders of the world,” she said. “They can make a difference in the way that people live, not only the day after they leave, but for years into the future.

There is room for 30 students to attend the trip. It will be on a first come first serve basis. Interested students should complete the online registration process through explorica.com/goulart-4688.

Students can go to the meeting about the trip on March 18, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. in room 2217. If there are any questions you can contact the advisers at [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] and [email protected].