GHS launches Model G20 club

DANIELLE DENMAN, Staff Writer

Are you interested in global politics, civic engagement, and developing leadership? If so, then check out the new Model G20 Club!

The G20 (Group of 20) Club, is a simulation of the group of the nineteen leading global economic countries and the European Union (EU), which represent 85 percent of the world’s economic output. Members of the club negotiate political issues, simulate trade deals, and do workshops.

The club was started by GHS junior, Autumn-Marie Silva, and will be largely student-run. History teacher Richard Francis will host it in his room and supervise the club.  All student members will have the opportunity to act as facilitators.

G20 clubs are not specific to GHS.  They can be found internationally, although most are based in the United States and China. The concept of Model G20 originated from Knovva Academy.

Silva says that the club not only covers political issues, but also teaches skills necessary after high school.

“Workshops are what teach you the skills you are going to need, not just in the club, but life skills like leadership skills, public speaking skills, and cultural awareness,” said Silva.

Members of the club also have the opportunity to travel. The 2020 Knovva Model G20 Summit will be held in Shanghai, China. Knovva considers all applicants, though Silva recommends having experience with a G20 Club before applying.

“Joining the club heightens your chances of being accepted.”

Students will each be assigned one of the 20 countries, but there is no limit to the number of members in the club.

“It is not about the quantity, it is about finding members who want to learn more about the world we live in, and look at the big picture on a global scale,” said Silva.

If you join:

WHAT: Model G20 Club

WHEN: Every Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., room 2215