• May 10Want to join Student Government? Pick up a form in Mrs. Finacey's room and return it by May 22nd!

• April 30Prom tickets are now on sale at both lunches for $60!

• April 22Girls Varsity Tennis has a game against Danvers at GHS on Friday, May 17th at 4:00pm

• April 22Boys Varsity Tennis has a game against Peabody at Peabody High School on Friday, May 17th at 4:00pm

• April 2Girls Varsity Softball has a game against Danvers at GHS on Friday, May 17th at 4:00pm

• March 31Boys Varsity Lacrosse has an Alumni game at GHS on Friday, May 17th at 6:30pm

• March 25Boys Varsity Baseball has a game against Danvers at Twi Field on Friday, May 17th at 6:30pm

• March 25Girls Varsity Lacrosse has a game against Winthrop at Miller Field on Friday, May 17th at 4:00pm

Stress relieving sachets arrive in time for mid-terms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lavender sachets handmade by Youth Advisory Council

Danielle Denman

Danielle Denman

Danielle Denman

DANIELLE DENMAN, Staff Writer, Editor

This month, the GHS Youth Advisory Council will be distributing free lavender sachet bags to the entire student body and faculty in time for midterm testing.

The bags will be filled with ingredients used to make essential oils, which have stress-reducing and relaxation elements. These ingredients include lavender, chamomile rosemary and peppermint, as well as salt to keep the scent fresh and strong.

The plan is to distribute the 950 sachets to English classes on January 18th with an encouraging message attached to each one. The project is primarily managed by health coordinator Karen Hurst, as well as nurse practitioner Linda Gipsetin.

Hurst believes that each student has a decision to make about which way they want to unwind from the stress of school, and that this project is presenting a healthy option for doing so.

“Each student has the capacity to control their stress levels through various relaxation techniques,” said Hurst. “We hope that these herbal sachets will allow them that chance throughout the week.”

The idea for this project had emerged from a visit from the Backyard Growers, who wanted to set up flower beds on the GHS campus.

Addie Shreffler, a member of Backyard Growers, is recruiting ROTC members to set up the flower beds. Shreffler and Hurst are also creating a workshop to teach the importance of herbal remedies, while also making face masks with these herbs and essential oils.

“They wanted the garden to be for medicinal herbs. We talked about the natural and healing qualities of herbs,” said Hurst. “We want to start flower beds, so instead of having to buy them, we can harvest them.”

Members of the Youth Advisory Council (YAC) have been working to help create these sachets during lunch their blocks. GHS junior and YAC member Nicolle Fernandes discussed the excitement she feels about the bags.

“They smell amazing to me. I don’t want to be dramatic, but I fell in love with the scent,” said Fernandes. “It makes you relax, it makes your day better.”

YAC will also be displaying various messages regarding essential oils and the positive effects it has on the body on the club’s new bulletin board across from the Health Center.

To join YAC, visit the Health Center during both lunches and help in sachet creation.

About the Photographer
Danielle Denman, Editor

Danielle Denman is a junior at Gloucester High, and is kicking off her second year as an editor for The Gillnetter. She is a member of multiple clubs,...