• February 12Junior Event is March 22nd! Buy your tickets! ($50 each)

• February 6Sophomore Event is March 8th! Make sure to buy your ticket! ($30 each)

• February 6Girls Varsity Basketball Game vs Peabody @HOME: POSTPONED to 2/15/19! (5:30pm)

At the corps of the issue

Back to Article
Back to Article

At the corps of the issue

An E Block ROTC class is briefed before uniform inspection.

Spencer Taft

Spencer Taft

Spencer Taft

SPENCER TAFT, Staff Writer

Walking into the school through the main entrance, it’s no secret that ROTC has a presence in the school. The trophies of our drill and rifle team’s conquests take center stage as the centerpiece of the first floor hall.  Yet the general public’s opinion on ROTC has remained a mystery.

I honestly wouldn’t know “said senior marine instructor CW03 (Gunner) Muth about the ROTC’s reputation. “I don’t really follow that. I would hope it was good, but I don’t know.”

The students who sign up for ROTC rarely regret it. “It’s made me a better person,” said junior Leia Sturdevant.  “I have more of a backbone, and more discipline.” However, many cadets, such as freshman Austin Hildoman see ROTC as a responsibility.  “It’s good, but it requires determination and willingness to work hard and listen.”

As marine instructor Master Sergeant Dubose puts it,  “It’s definitely more [of a responsibility] because more is expected. When you show up to ROTC, you’re put in more uncomfortable situations. You can’t hide as much.”

Gloucester’s ROTC is regarded as one of the oldest in New England, having been present in the school since 1884, with the Marine corps running it since 1996. The trophies both in the main hallway and the ROTC classroom show the program’s pedigree in air rifle shooting and competition drill.

With 117 cadets, the ROTC makes up 14 percent of the 856 total students in the school. While this may seem like a fairly small percentage, Many non-cadets are restricted more by their schedules than any misconceptions they may have had. “I’m not really interested, but if I had more time I would probably join.” Said student A.J Romero-Oliver. “I decided not to take ROTC because I’m really athletic and I love sports. It just isn’t for me.” Other students held a similar opinion. “I wouldn’t do it because I run year round” said senior William Pierce, “But I feel like it’s helpful for joining the military.”

Many students also reported having friends in ROTC. “It was suggested by some friends” Said Hildoman” but it was a personal decision,” As a non-cadet, Romero-Oliver held a similar opinion. “Yeah, I had some friends [in ROTC] but they never really pressured me.” He said.

Placing former military personnel in a school may seem problematic, but as instructor for 3 years, Master Sergeant Dubose still remembers what it was like adjusting to dealing with students. “You would think it would be different to deal with problems at a marine base vs. the halls of a high school, and dealing with student issues are different,” he said, “Fortunately, I lived at a school for a decade before coming here, so it was not difficult at all.”

Here in Gloucester, from the war memorials scattered about town to the graveyards full of American flags every memorial day, the military has had no shortage of presence in town, and students wishing to be a part of that tradition are encouraged to consider ROTC as a class option, though It isn’t for everyone.

“I don’t see any risk associated with ROTC” Said Master Sergent Dubose, “But we all have a fear of the unknown, so the natural reaction is fight or flight.” “Don’t listen to rumors,” .Gunner Muth said. “Choose for yourself.”

About the Photographer
Spencer Taft, Staff Writer / Copy Editor

Spencer Taft is a senior at GHS, current captain of the chess team and ROTC cadet Staff Sergeant. His favorite subjects are Science and English. He enjoys...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “At the corps of the issue”

1. Julia Ellsworth on November 11th, 2014 5:40 pm

Why would there be a problem with having former soldiers in school? It’s not like they’re going to snap and go crazy. I think the military is a legitimate career path, and ROTC is kind of like the technical classes. As far as I know, the teachers who teach ROTC aren’t war-mongering brain-washers….

2. Autumn on January 30th, 2015 2:39 pm

So I was in the GHS ROTC program. Let me just tell people this. I was miserable. I didn’t belong. I didn’t feel like I belonged. To actually succeed in there you have to suck up to the teachers or be accepted by the popular ones in there. I was treated badly. I hated it so much! The kids talked down to me. And acted like they were all that and a bag of chips because of there rank. It Doesn’t matter who you are you don’t treat people like crap. And Don’t get me started on*******. I have seen the kids bully him and it pissed me off how they laughed at him and I remember one day at inspection one of the kids didn’t wear a uniform and the class leader didn’t yell at them cause he liked them. But when it came TO *******. He freaked out and called ******* stupid! I don’t recommend this program to anyone personally. Unless you wanna feel terrible about yourself…..

3. SPENCER TAFT on February 11th, 2015 11:22 am

As per our comment policy, this comment has been edited to protect the privacy of a specific student.

• At the corps of the issue

Features

GHS swim team makes major improvements this season

• At the corps of the issue

Features

Midterm Survival Guide

• At the corps of the issue

Features

What’s your screen time?

• At the corps of the issue

Features

School Choice: Behind the Budget

• At the corps of the issue

Features

Auto students restore 1956 Ford pickups

• At the corps of the issue

Features

Unis comes home to “give back”

• At the corps of the issue

Features

Parker shows women can excel in Auto shop

• At the corps of the issue

Features

GHS will continue to flood due to sea level rise, climate change

• At the corps of the issue

Features

GHS students take initiative on climate change research in Gloucester

• At the corps of the issue

Features

Monell engineers the future in GHS Robotics

At the corps of the issue