GHS welcomes Gentile as new head baseball coach

Courtesy+photo%3A+Rory+Gentile+

Michael Lattof Jr.

Courtesy photo: Rory Gentile

PETER SCOLA, Contributor

Last week Fishermen Athletics named Rory Gentile as the new Varsity Baseball coach.

Gentile is a familiar face to GHS baseball. A 2006 graduate, Gentile played varsity baseball all four years, and made it to the postseason three times. After graduation,  he played baseball for Suffolk University and eventually returned to GHS to become Assistant Baseball Coach under Brian Lafata.

The returning players have me optimistic about the upcoming season,” said Gentile. “We had a very successful year last year and I believe we are poised to continue that success, assuming we all bring the same level of commitment.”

Gloucester is doing well and returning players could help maintain and hopefully improve the season for Gloucester.

“Teams tend to take on the identity of their coach,” said Gentile. “We will be aggressive, determined, and persistent no matter what the situation is and hopefully that will lead to positive outcomes.”

Every year Gloucester faces a new obstacle that they could improve on, according to coach Gentile “Last year we made too many soft outs early in counts and our base running definitely needs to improve.”

Although this may seem like a hard thing to overcome Gentile had added that “Our pitch selection will lead to better at bats where we can drive the ball instead of making it easy for the opposing pitcher to go deep into games”

Gentile’s goal is “always to make it into the tournament”. He added “I would also like older players to start thinking about college and what happens after high school. We also always have a goal of being respectful to all opposing teams and umpires, as that is a prerequisite to success.”

It is good to know that GHS baseball is in good hands. Gentile gives a reason for GHS to be optimistic for the season and to show up at the games both in team spirit and big crowds.