Distractology program educates student drivers

BRANDON SMITH, Staff Writer

Everyday, distracted driving kills about 9 people and leaves more than 1,000 injured. To help protect yourself and others, make sure to take part in Distractology.

Sponsored by the Arbella Insurance Foundation and created based on research conducted at UMass Amherst, Distractology is a program that teaches participants how to become a safer driver. This revolves around the idea of avoiding and ignoring common distractions that happen while driving.

Those who sign up will be in an RV-type vehicle which is equipped with an arcade-like driving simulator. During this simulator students will need to try to drive while ignoring distractions, teaching them how to be better drivers on the road.

Drivers who have completed Distractology are 19% less likely to have major/minor accidents and 25% less likely to get traffic violations.

Distractology takes place during the week of May 21st, with appointments beginning at 7:30 and running until 2:50. Each appointment lasts about 45 minutes.

In order to participate in the event students need to sign up in advance. To do so, book an appointment with Ms. Rosa Francis in room 1217. Sign ups are first come first serve, so make sure to sign up as soon as possible.