• September 17Varsity Football vs Saugus @ GHS *Friday 10/5 7:00pm*

• September 17Varsity Field Hockey vs Malden @ GHS *Monday 10/1 7:00pm*

• September 17Boys and Girls Varsity Cross Country vs Winthrop @ Stage Fort Park *Wednesday 10/3 4:30pm*

• September 17Varsity Golf vs Somerville @ Bass Rocks *Tuesday 10/2 4:00pm*

• September 17Boys Varsity Soccer @ Lynn Classical *Thursday 10/4 5:30pm*

• September 17Girls Varsity Soccer @ Saugus *Tuesday 10/2 4:00pm*

GHS teen artists can help keep our oceans clean

This Drain smART painting in Salem was twice the size until half of it was paved over recently

Danielle Denman

Danielle Denman

DANIELLE DENMAN, Staff Writer

The Gloucester Clean City Commission needs local artists to help out with its recent project that pairs art with environmental awareness. It is very common for art around Gloucester to compliment our unique landscape. This project is going to be preventing ocean pollution, while also getting observers to recognize the epidemic. The best part about this project? That you, a GHS student, can help!

Drain smART Gloucester, the Gloucester Clean City Commission, and other local environmental organizations have come together to give Gloucester’s storm drains a makeover. These storm drains are painted with statement pieces about pollution and the affect it has on Gloucester’s oceans.

How does painting these storm drains help keep Gloucester clean? Plastic, garbage, and cigarette butts end up in the drain when they are deserted by Gloucester residents. Then, the drain carries the rubbish back into the ocean and pollutes the water. So, by revamping storm drains with a message, less scraps will be dumped, and much less pollutants will be finding their way to Gloucester’s waterways.

Danielle Denman
Drain art in Salem Commons brings awareness to ocean pollution

This project was adopted from a very similar campaign in Salem, which spread throughout the city like wildfire.  According to GHS Art teacher Lorrinda Cerruti, it changed many in the community for the better.

“I’ve seen it first hand in Salem,” said Cerruti. “ I looked down and immediately saw the message and it was very clear. Since then I’ve thought about what I put down the drain and how it has a larger effect on the community.”

The Gloucester Clean City Committee urges that this is publicly open to the community, including those who are Gloucester residents and students interested in art from the ages of high school and older. To truly get this project going, it is crucial for the Gloucester youth to lend a hand, artists or not.

“I think that people in the community are always surprised when they ask our students for help, and get such a high quality of work.” Cerruti comments.

According to GHS Art student Caroline Enos,  GHS teens are very aware of the impact they will be having on Gloucester’s future.

“It’s a good step in the right direction. Climate change and the effects of pollution are very real, especially since our community is located on the coast,” said Enos.

The mission of creating these murals is to spread awareness of the issue, while also complementing Gloucester’s renowned and intricate art scene. They will be on display on the Gloucester streets for anyone passing by to view.

If you are a GHS student who wants to get involved in the Gloucester community, have an idea that might contribute to the initiative, or simply love art, this project needs your contribution.

To learn more about the project, to volunteer, or get involved, reach out to to smART Gloucester, by emailing drainsmart@seasidesustainability.org.

About the Photographer
Danielle Denman, Editor

Danielle Denman is a junior at Gloucester High, and is kicking off her second year as an editor for The Gillnetter. She is a member of multiple clubs, including Interact Club, French Club, Young Democrats, and Gloucester Youth Council. She works as an ice cream scooper at Whitefarms on the Causeway in Gloucester. Danielle loves to write, and surrounds herself with friends both during and after school. She can most often be found around town with other GHS students.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “GHS teen artists can help keep our oceans clean”

1. Eric Magers on October 26th, 2017 10:23 am

HI!
    This is cool!
    \Here is more info…
    Thank you,
    Eric

https://www.seasidesustainability.org/drain-smart

2. Eric Magers on June 18th, 2018 3:00 pm

• GHS teen artists can help keep our oceans clean

Arts & Culture

Halloween Carnival to benefit GHS Theater

Arts & Culture

The Elicitor hosts Halloween Horror contest

Arts & Culture

Glam Slam stories focus on sustainability

Arts & Culture

New sculpture class molds young artists

Arts & Culture

Docksiders set to perform at Topsfield Fair

Arts & Culture

Music is good for your brain

Arts & Culture

“Mmmbeth” and “Hamlette” make their way to GHS

Arts & Culture

Docksiders’ Swing Dance to feature former director and other alumni

Arts & Culture

Students strut their stuff at Spring Showcase

Arts & Culture

Citywide arts festival to showcase youth art