• September 17Varsity Football vs Saugus @ GHS *Friday 10/5 7:00pm*

• September 17Varsity Field Hockey vs Malden @ GHS *Monday 10/1 7:00pm*

• September 17Boys and Girls Varsity Cross Country vs Winthrop @ Stage Fort Park *Wednesday 10/3 4:30pm*

• September 17Varsity Golf vs Somerville @ Bass Rocks *Tuesday 10/2 4:00pm*

• September 17Boys Varsity Soccer @ Lynn Classical *Thursday 10/4 5:30pm*

• September 17Girls Varsity Soccer @ Saugus *Tuesday 10/2 4:00pm*

Freshman survival guide

KAYLA PENNIMPEDE, Staff Writer

If you watch a lot of movies, you can probably picture the teenager-high school scenario where freshman are being slammed into lockers, their lunch stolen, or their lockers violated. Watching these movies before entering high school can make your first day a lot more fearful than it should be. Going to new schools happens more than once in your life, whether it is the transition from elementary school to middle school, or middle school to high school. There is no doubt that high school can seem the most terrifying of all three grade schools that you eventually have to attend.

But even though you may think this, you are not alone, because everyone who is either in high school currently or has graduated has went through the same fearful first day as you. Many thing that happen in movies don’t seem possible, which is almost always exactly how high school functions in real life compared to movies. Here are some tips on how to survive your first year, and once you have mastered these tips, these next four years will be your best.

• Class schedules and Directions

When you are given your class schedule, you may fear that you are going to get lost or go to the wrong class, but once you learn how the floors and room numbers work, you will know how to find any class. The first digit in your room number will determine which floor your class is on. The second digit is the hallway number. The other two digits will determine what room number your class is. When you are walking to class, it is best to walk on the right side of the hall and the stairs.

• Lunch

There are two different lunches: first and second lunch. The lunches are sorted by the room number of your class. There are three different lunches: E block, F block, and G block.

• E block lunches are on days 1, 3, 4, and 5
  • F block lunch is on day 6
  • G block lunches are on days 2 and 7

Depending on the room number of that class, you will find out if you have first or second lunch.

• If you have first lunch, you will go to the designated lunch block after lunch.
  • If you have second lunch, you will go to the designated lunch block before lunch.

The first floor and most of the second floor have first lunch. Some teachers on the second floor choose to have second lunch, so make sure to check the lunch list. If your class is on the third floor, you will have second lunch.

• Sports or clubs

Our school has many different programs, whether it is art, band, sports, drama, etc. Getting involved can help you in many ways, whether it is to make new friends, be productive, or to find a new hobby. Each season, there is a new set of sports that you can sign up for. There are also after school clubs that you can join where people express their inner creativity by using art, music, acting, etc.

• Homework

Now that you are in a bigger school, and have different teachers for each class, you are going to have more homework to complete. If you are struggling with how to solve a problem or how to write an essay, there are multiple ways this can be solved. Many teachers have certain days each week that they stay after school. If you need help with homework or need to retake a test, they will stay after school one day to help you.

If you need one-on-one help, The NHS (National Honors Society) is a group of students who help tutor other students. The National Honors society meets up in the library after school, so you can go to the library after school to meet up with one of them, or schedule an appointment with a certain person. Sign ups are located in the library. Tutoring and homework help usually lasts an hour. Homework is a large part of your grade, so make sure to keep up with it. If there is an upcoming test, make sure to study.

High school can be a very big transition, so it may be hard to get used to at first. It may take a few months to go over these steps and get them down, but I guarantee by the end of this year, you will know the rules of the school.

About the Photographer
Kayla Pennimpede, Staff Writer

Kayla Pennimpede is a sophomore at Gloucester High School. She is a Student Council representative for the Class of 2020. She is also a member of the GHS cross country and track teams. This is Kayla’s first year writing for The Gillnetter.

1 Comment

One Response to “Freshman survival guide”

1. serene Desisto on September 20th, 2017 6:42 pm

Kayle p this article helped me accomplish great things. Thank you.

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Halloween Carnival to benefit GHS Theater

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

The Elicitor hosts Halloween Horror contest

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Glam Slam stories focus on sustainability

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

New sculpture class molds young artists

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Docksiders set to perform at Topsfield Fair

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Music is good for your brain

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

“Mmmbeth” and “Hamlette” make their way to GHS

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Docksiders’ Swing Dance to feature former director and other alumni

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Students strut their stuff at Spring Showcase

• Freshman survival guide

Arts & Culture

Citywide arts festival to showcase youth art

Freshman survival guide