Driving event promotes safety and sobriety

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Jonathan Frontiero (left) and Brennan Crossman in the impaired driving simulator at the safe driving event

JENNA TAORMINA, Staff Writer/ Editor

With prom season approaching, health teacher Rosa Francis, in partnership with the Gloucester Youth Council and Gloucester Police, encouraged seniors to make healthy choices and avoid substance abuse, especially while driving, with the third annual impaired driving event.

The event, which took place in the field house, featured a drunk driving simulator provided by Massachusetts State Troopers in which students experienced what it was like to drive while intoxicated. The Gloucester Police performed field sobriety tests for students who were wearing “drunk goggles”, and also provided free t-shirts to students to promote good decisions.

“It’s about having fun without taking risks,” said health teacher Rosa Francis. “Especially now that it’s prom and graduation season.”

Ms. Francis’s freshman health classes put on the event with help from the Gloucester Youth Council of the Healthy Gloucester Collaborative to promote anti-substance abuse.

Members of the Gloucester Youth Council ran three tables at the event about driving while intoxicated and its effects.

Students were issued a “license” for day and were encouraged to visit each table. At each table students received a sticker for their license. After students visited four tables, they became eligible to drive the go-carts.

“You need four stickers to drive the go-cart and get ice cream, so it encourages people to learn,” said GYC member Ben St. Cyr.

Nicastro’s Driving School also provided ice cream at the event and Bank Gloucester provided popcorn. History teacher Michael Perreault also DJ’ed the event.

“It’s a good event with prom coming up,” said senior Brennen Crossman. “And if you choose to do this stuff, make sure you have a designated driver.”