Friends lose hair to show they care

Treigh Worrell

(from left) John Philpott, Jeff St. Peter, Jacob Emerson, Will Eason, Andrew Amaral, Jake Schrock, Thomas Donahue, Alex Militello, Kyle Aquipel

HANNAH ZUIDEMA, Staff Writer

More than a dozen Gloucester High School students have shaved their heads in support of GHS senior Guilherme Spairani.

Teammates and friends, including Andrew Latassa and Jake Schrock, joined together and shaved their heads this past weekend to support him in his fight with cancer.

“It’s not supposed to be a fashion statement, but an act of respect for our friend,” said Latassa. “As our friend began to lose his hair from treatment, it was important to us that he didn’t feel like an outcast.”

“Guilherme would do the same for any of us,” said Schrock. “And we want to do the most we can to support our friend.”

Spairani said he is amazed by the outpouring of support shown by his classmates during this difficult time.

“Losing hair at first sucked, but when it all came off I actually liked it,” said Spairani. “At first I didn’t want people seeing it but seeing all my friends like that made it a whole lot easier to deal with.”

“I feel absolutely speechless,” said Spairani. “Words can’t explain what I’m feeling for these kids. To have friends and family cut their hair to support me is amazing. I’m blessed to have friends and family that care so much. I love all these kids. I’m thankful for the people who pray, donated, or shaved for me. Thank you all for everything you have done.”

To help support Spairani in his battle with cancer, people can donate to his Go Fund Me account here:  https://www.gofundme.com/qhrkkhsk

Watch out for upcoming fundraisers to support Spairani. A Jalapeños night will be held May 2.