Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Art by Rachel Nearis

Art by Rachel Nearis

RACHEL ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

The boys’ and girls’ bathrooms are old and run down at Gloucester High School. The stalls are broken, the toilets are broken, and there is writing all over the walls. The toilets do not flush, and are always overflowing which causes toilet paper to pile up over time.

Soap is often missing, and many soap dispensers are broken. Soap is the most important resource in a bathroom. If there is no soap, then people will not wash their hands and sickness could spread.

Does GHS want to be responsible for possible illnesses that students and faculty could receive? Not having soap is a health concern and putting soap into the bathrooms needs to be a priority.

The girls’ bathroom does not have any paper towels, nor working hand driers. What are people supposed to do when they wash their hands and have nothing to dry them with? It’s crazy to think that a school would omit something as important as paper towels in the bathrooms.

The lack of sanitary disposal units in the girls’ restrooms is unacceptable for a number of reasons. A majority of the stalls in the science wing at GHS are missing these boxes, which are extremely important for all girls to have available at any time.

While some bathrooms have the boxes, there are no bags inside and they are not properly secured to the walls. Sanitary disposal boxes are supposed to be thoroughly cleaned everyday because they pose a health risk.  Without the bags the health risk is increased.

Also, the writing on the walls should be covered up because it is unnecessary and usually contains vulgarity. Some schools use sticky notes to write positive sayings on them and stick them on their bathroom walls. This alternative can put a smile on someone’s face and they can look at that instead of the insulting comments.

So students, if the toilets are clogged and stalls are broken – tell someone. If the soap dispenser is empty and the hand dryers don’t work – tell someone. If the sanitary disposal units are filled, or missing, or broken – tell someone.

Bathrooms should be cleaned daily to keep up with the cleanliness and safety of students. Ask anyone their opinion on the bathrooms and how they feel.  Paper towels and soap should be maintained 24/7 so that people can go to the bathrooms and feel clean afterwards.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention”

1. Madison on December 4th, 2015 8:31 am

This is so accurate. Going into the school bathrooms fill me with rage because of the way people treat it. It makes me almost hate the people in the school who disrespect the facility that we all use and need. It’s a very important place to keep clean, maybe even the most important place, and it is atrocious.

[Reply]

2. brandon on December 4th, 2015 9:01 am

this is so true Rachel omg thank you for finally saying something about it.

[Reply]

3. Julia on December 4th, 2015 6:59 pm

I can ignore the profanity, honestly, of course it’s crass and low-class, but I just look away, that simple. Or, since I’m in high school, simply ignore the words as the product of some ignoramus. They really do need better disposal boxes, all these blood-borne diseases out there… Bathrooms should be cleaned daily for sanitation, and the smell could be better!

[Reply]

4. Tyler on December 5th, 2015 1:14 am

Very well written!

To the writing on the walls – I have been saying for years that they should either put a whiteboard up, or paint a section of the wall with chalkboard paint. The kids would be able to write whats on their mind(as they will do regardless, unfortunately) and at the end of the day it could simply be erased!

[Reply]

Vinny Reply:

That is a terrific idea! I graduated last year andi don’t know if it is still there, but in one of the men’s rooms, there was a giant smiley face that stayed there ( and was added to over the coats of) two years! If there was an erasable board it wouldn’t take a can of spray paint to fix silly stuff like that.

[Reply]

5. Carissa on December 6th, 2015 7:02 pm

Ugh i hate tge bathrooms too.Ive heard the boys bathrooms are worse than the girls.PLS FIX OUR BATHROOMS

[Reply]

6. Lauren Wood on March 17th, 2016 7:54 am

I agree, the bathrooms do need some help. Im glad that you brought this subject to people attentions.

[Reply]

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

High school isn’t forever, so make it count

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Advice for rising seniors

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Craftsmanship is a value worth preserving

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Why the spike in teen anxiety?

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Teeth, who needs em?

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Opinion: Take your transphobia out of our bathrooms

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

“Knock knock?” “Who’s there?” “Herd” “Herd who?”

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Opinion: Save the bees

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Opinion: My rejection story

• Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention

Opinion

Opinion: Stop demonizing smokers

Opinion: GHS bathrooms need attention