O’Maley presentations highlight elective programs

Caroline Enos

Jenna Taormina and Katelyn Moore tell eighth graders about cool it is to be a reporter for this awesome online newpaper

CAROLINE ENOS, Staff Writer

Students from each department presented to O’Maley eighth graders on Tuesday about the unique and abundant opportunities GHS classes allow students.

“We are excited to get you affirmated to the classes and academic programs in the high school,” said Vice Principal Maria Lysen during the presentation. “It’s a really big step from middle school to high school. It’s a lot work and stress, but we are a big family and take care of everyone here.”

Thirty-seven students from various classes and electives, including the language and science departments, gave eighth graders a description and first hand experiences about the paths available at the high school.

“What kind of a science student are you?” said science program leader Rachel Rex to students.

Students from the science department then described the difference between the traditional approach to the subject- chemistry and biology- and the non-traditional approach- technology and engineering and robotics- and the reasons why both routes are valid to take in high school.

Members of the JROTC described why they decided to join the program, and eighth graders were told that joining the program was not solely for those who plan on entering the military.

“JROTC is a leadership class, as well as a citizen class,” said Richard Muth.

The language program highlighted the essence and benefits of taking a language, and described the cultures and beauty of the countries they have visited through the program.

“Two German students are sent to Germany each year for free,” said German student Jacob Belcher. “I went last year and the wonderful people I met and the experience I had changed my life.”

Other departments presented as well, and each elective was represented during the presentation. They described the jobs you can get through the program while still in high school and talked about the student led atmosphere of the classes.

“You don’t have to be a brainiac,” said technology and engineering Chris Jaques. “Anything you think of you can make.”

“Everything matters in high school,” emphasized guidance counselor Paula Gray.

Regardless of what path incoming freshmen will take, every GHS course will allow every student to succeed in high school.