• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

O’Maley to offer internship for high schoolers

Cyan Clements

In support of O’Maley Academy After-school Programs, O’Maley Innovation Middle School is looking to hire 10-12 interns as Peer Mentors. 

O’Maley Academy is a local grant-funded program that holds free after-school activities for O’Maley students Monday through Thursday. The program offers a wide range of programs for middle school students, from theater to yoga to Dungeons and Dragons. Peer Mentors will rotate between programs, helping to facilitate and organize activities alongside teacher advisors. 

To see all the programs offered at O’Maley Academy, visit their website here.

To apply, interested students must submit their contact information and availability on a Google Form, linked here. Applicants are also asked to submit a reference alongside their application. The reference form can be found here. Family members and friends cannot be references, but coaches, teachers, employers, and guidance counselors are all eligible. The application deadline is March 8th. In the event that a large number of students apply, interviews will be held.

Once hired, interns must undergo training, offered from 2:30-4:15 on Monday through Thursday. This training is paid. After completing training, interns can choose to work 1-4 days a week, flexible depending on availability. Interns will be paid 18 dollars an hour. If a student completes 54 hours of O’Maley Academy work, they may earn 2.5 credits towards their high school diploma.

Though not a prerequisite, O’Maley Academy is looking for students interested in continuing their studies in the fields of education and youth development, as well as students with experience working with children. Preference will be given to juniors and seniors with CPR- or lifeguard-certifications, but neither of these are a requirement. 

Today, on February 29th, there is an information session after school at 2:15 in the lecture hall.