The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

GHS hockey cooks the Falcons in 5-3 Valentine’s Day tilt

Aleena Brown
Brett Cunningham celebrates with his teammates after his goal in last night’s big win.

The GHS Boys’ Hockey team brought out the brooms and devoured a warm Falcon dinner after last night’s big 5-3 win against their rival team.

The Fishermen goals of the game were scored by Chris Karvelas, Charlie Terelak, Brett Cunningham, and 2 from Colby Jewell. Assists from the team went to James Sanfillipo and Terelak, as well as 3 each from Jewell and Cunningham.

The Fishermen struck first around four minutes into the battle, after the Danvers goalie deflected a strong Jewell shot for Terelak to strike in to lead.

After Terelak’s goal, the Falcons got riled up and responded with two goals from Cooper Dunham. With the Falcons leading, Gloucester turned up the heat with a Karvelas goal. The assistant captain smashed a shot over the Danvers’ goalie’s shoulder to tie the game up. 

Near the end of the quarter, the Fishermen took the lead back with a goal from Cunningham. The goal was a slow one, but the assistant captain controlled the puck enough to slip it past the goalie. Before the goal, Cunningham was taken out of the game due to an apparent lower body injury, but got back in to put up a total of 4 points.

Despite a Danvers goal from Dunham, Jewell rocketed two more goals for the Fishermen to seal the win. The assistant captain’s last goal of the night was a smoking sniper shot with a pass from Cunningham that sent the Falcons flying straight home. 

The team also welcomed back the full roster, with Chris Lojocano, Jackson Hakes, and Will Linn coming back from the injury reserve. Hakes was a strong force for the Fishermen last night, creating passes in Gloucester’s zone. Lojocano made good plays on defense for the Fishermen, along with captain Joe Orlando. Freshmen Sam Sanfillipo and Cade Francis also helped the team in the win.

Unfortunately, junior Chris Dailey hurt his wrist on a play and did not return to the game post-injury.

“This win felt great,” Jewell detailed post-game. “There was hard work all around. Everyone was playing together and doing the role they are assigned. Having struggled with Danvers in the past, it feels good to dominate them senior year. Having everyone back in time for the playoffs is key to a long run. Going into senior night, we know we need to come out on top with a big ‘W’.”

With this decisive win over their rivals, the Fishermen sweep the season series against the Falcons and pass the .500 mark. The team has a 9-8-2 record and are ranked 13th in Division 2. 

The Fishermen await the arrival of Swampscott this Saturday for their final regular season game of the season. Come support the seniors before the puck drop at 6:00 p.m. as they hope to finish in style.