• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

GHS Track team suffers loss to Marblehead

Aleena Brown
Colby Rochford and Jeferson de Como lead the pack of runners.

The GHS track team had a difficult loss in a meet against Marblehead, but had multiple individual and relay wins.

Senior Faith Castellucci won in the girls’ varsity 1 mile, beating the 2nd-place runner by about 17 seconds. In the boys’ varsity 600 meters, Senior Bryce Rochford placed 1st with a 1:39 time with Dylan Smith close behind with 1:40. One of Gloucester’s relay teams placed first in the 4 x 400 meter race, with the other relay team for the Fishermen placed 3rd. Gloucester’s boys’ 4 x 400-meter relay team also placed first, with their second relay team 21 seconds behind them. 

Junior Matthew Smith won first in boys’ shot put with a 40’11 throw, with senior Brady Patten placing 4th with a 35’7 throw. For girls’ shot put, sophomore Brooklyn Stafford placed 3rd with her 29’ throw with junior Lauren Sargent placing behind her with the length of 27’. 

“We all knew that we were going have to try our hardest to try and win against Marblehead’s strong throwers.” Captain Sargent detailed post-meet. “ We got some new throwers and they all tried there hardest. We are all proud of Matt for winning the boy’s shotput at 40’11” and are glad that we have him for another year.”

While Gloucester did not have a lot of winners, the team had strong performers across the events. Freshmen Grace Castellucci and Maddie Goodhue had times of 48.14 and 49.60 in the 300-meter event. Sophomore Dylan Rochford ran a 7.22 55 meter while Patten ran 7.43 and Landen Cusick ran 7.47.

“I was very proud of our runners’ performances today.” Captain F. Castellucci said. “We had a lot of our runners in events they aren’t usually a part of, but I’m proud of how they adapted and tried their hardest for the team. And I’m glad that I won for the team as well.” 

Their last home meet of the season is February 1st at Newell Stadium at 4:30, but make sure to arrive early to support the seniors for senior night!