• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Gloucester DECA heads to State Competition

Christine Simmons via Instagram
DECA students pose at District Competition

Last week, the GHS chapter of Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) took to Endicott College for the District 6 DECA District Competition. Over 40 people competed in the Individual and Team categories, and went up against 13 schools that attended. 16 people placed in the district competition, and moved on to the next round of competition: the State Career Development Conference (SCDC) competition in Boston.

DECA is a program at the high school and collegiate level that combines business achievement with healthy competition. There are four divisons: entrepreneuship, marketing, finance and business. The DECA program at Gloucester High School is a well-attended program, led by chapter adviser Christine Simmons. 

40% of DECA members at Gloucester High School made it to the State Level SCDC competition in the most recent round of competition.

In the Team Division, Gloucester had 5 groups place in a multitude of categories, showing that teamwork and collaboration pays off.  Ruby McElhenny, Keira O’Brien and Julian Nixon placed 3rd on their Buisness Solutions Project as well as Martina Cracchiolo and Sofia Crivello, who placed 4th in the Start Up Buisness Plan Event. Julia Carrancho and Skye Ciolino placed 4th in the Buying and Merchandising Team Event, and Bryce and Dylan Rochford placed 2nd in the Fincancial Services Team Event. Cole Ciolino and Luke McElhenny placed 4th in Buying and Merchandising Operations, and Isla Black placed 3rd in Finance Operations Research. 

Gloucester had one first place winner who participated in the Innovation Plan category. Senior Toluola Olubanjo presented a line of hair care products to the judges that secured her win. In the same category, Junior Hannah Sherlock’s presentation placed second. 

In the Individual “Principles” category of competition, Alexis Thomas placed 5th in Principles of Marketing as well as Santana Faria, who placed 3rd Principles of Hostpitality and Tourism. 

Congratulations to all who competed, and good luck in March at the SCDC Competition!